www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Sampson's & St Andrews School "Saved" Education now broke!!

+8
Spirit
Pete Burtenshaw
kiwis kitten
Diddycoon
Thistle
GD
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

St Sampson's & St Andrews School "Saved" Education now broke!! - Page 2 Empty Re: St Sampson's & St Andrews School "Saved" Education now broke!!

Post by GD Mon 26 Jan 2009, 1:54 pm

Guernsey's Chief Minister has asked for changes to a forthcoming debate on the future of two island schools.

The States are due to consider the recommended closure of St Sampson's Infants before discussing plans to keep St Andrew's Primary school open.

But Lyndon Trott, a St Sampson's parish deputy, has placed an amendment asking for the order to be changed so a decision on St Andrew's is made first.

The closure plan is partially linked to falling pupil numbers in Guernsey.

Both schools have protested against the proposed closures, which would take place next year if agreed by the States.

But the Education Minister Deputy Carol Steere said: "I do believe that if these schools are closed the children would move into their new schools and would be part of the community.

"They would feel equally passionate about these new schools as they do about their schools now." (from BBC News)

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

St Sampson's & St Andrews School "Saved" Education now broke!! - Page 2 Empty Re: St Sampson's & St Andrews School "Saved" Education now broke!!

Post by Diddycoon Fri 30 Jan 2009, 2:38 pm

What fantastic news that the school has been saved - well done to all involved!.

Diddycoon

Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Fri 30 Jan 2009, 2:39 pm

Now that a decision has been made, I hope they quicky sort out the dangerous road outside St Andrew's School.

Spirit

Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 30 Jan 2009, 3:01 pm

Both Schools to remain open, voting very close, now what will Carol Steere say to that..

In a close vote, the House decided to reject the recommendation to close St Sampson’s Infants by 24 votes to 23.
And they followed this by approving the Education Department’s recommendation to keep St Andrew’s open by 29 votes to 18.

Last edited by GD on Fri 30 Jan 2009, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 30 Jan 2009, 3:13 pm

i listened to the vote and most of the speeches.steere is not a very happy bunny.best news the islanders have had for a while.long may the schools remain open

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Fri 30 Jan 2009, 3:15 pm

I will await Carol's reaction with interest.....I voted for her originally but I wouldn't now.  It's the right decision to keep them open - long may they stay open. St Sampson's was so special to me and it will hold many more memories for other children to enjoy.  I am so pleased - I agree with thistle this is what islanders wanted.
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Fri 30 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

Great News.....I so wanted St Sampson's to remain open..
My godson went there and its such a lovely little community and the teachers are so friendly and are never to busy to say hello and welcome u .....

:) :MERRY:
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 30 Jan 2009, 5:32 pm

It is good news , i think it what the people wanted. so does that mean the speed bumps are staying. 😢
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 30 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm

Yes - a good result - but I feel that people have a short memory about Carol Steer (Fletcher) ....go figure!!!! She went off to llive in Spain after her last term in Guernsey politics (she was very radical then) .....and she, (in my opinion only), is of the same ilk as the lady who sanctioned the new HUGE buses then shoved off to live in Cyprus!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sat 31 Jan 2009, 9:39 am

Uuugh..... Karma, you are cynical!!

I am also happy that the local communities around these the St Andrew's and the St Sampson's schools benefit as a result of this decision by the States.

But.... remember that we all as taxpayers effectively lose out as the whole purpose was a 'cost cutting' exercise by the Education Dept. This will mean a bit extra to pay towards their upkeep etc, but personally I am happy to pay that as education of our children is of paramount importance as they are our future! study
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 31 Jan 2009, 11:16 am

a couple of states jollies less each would save even more money
they should go look at the waste of money along their own line and cut back on them first before telling children we cant afford to educate them.
perhaps if we had less deputies this would save us a considerable sum
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sat 31 Jan 2009, 11:24 am

We have a situation where we cant afford to keep these schools open but if we want to keep some of these Island Life things alive we need to adapt to be able to afford them.

Too many things have been lost over the past 20 year just because they are not economical and slowly and surly we are ruining the place we live.

Well done to thos deputies who saved the schools, just look as wastage wich is abundant in the states and you will find we will be able to afford these kind of Island Life Luxuries.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert Sat 31 Jan 2009, 12:11 pm

Getting the banks to pay for GuernseyFinance would be a start. An immediate £0.9m saving. The idea that the tax payers are paying for business PR seems ludicrous when we are talking about cutting schools. The banks, and other businesses pay hardly any tax on their profits now. Why don't they invest it into GuernseyFinance and leave the kids be.
Fast Robert
Fast Robert

Male
Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 03 Feb 2009, 3:00 pm

THE Education Department is in need of financial help, according to its minister, Carol Steere

After her department’s proposal to close St Sampson’s Infants School to save money was rejected by the States, she said money had to come from somewhere or it would have to make cuts.

‘Our budget is fully stretched and it will be difficult to make any savings without looking at frontline services.

‘I wonder if some other departments could look to see if some funds could go to education,’ she said.

She hoped Culture and Leisure minister Mike O’Hara meant what he said.

‘Deputy O’Hara said he would be happy to have the Commerce and Employment budget reduced to give some more money to education
GD
GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum