www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First-time buyer scheme in trouble

3 posters

Go down

First-time buyer scheme in trouble Empty First-time buyer scheme in trouble

Post by GD Wed 29 Oct 2008, 4:47 pm

HUNDREDS of Islanders have been deterred from applying for a discounted home under the Jersey Homebuy scheme.
Following an investigation by the JEP, the States are now rethinking aspects of the scheme as prospective buyers say that it is too expensive to buy a three-bedroom house under the current guidelines. Members of the Housing department are urgently setting up meetings with mortgage lenders to agree a better deal for buyers.
And Environment Minister Freddie Cohen is requesting that Treasury Minister Terry Le Sueur exempts shared-equity buyers from paying stamp duty. According to potential buyers and lenders, the problems include banks demanding deposits which are ten per cent of the full cost of the home and not the discounted price, the stamp duty being a proportion of the full amount of the property and the strict limitations on salaries mean the repayments are too expensive for most qualifying people.
Many mortgage lenders say that they have been turning dozens of customers away and say the States have obviously not thought it through. (thisisjersey)

The States not thought it through, can't believe that..
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

First-time buyer scheme in trouble Empty more trouble for first time buyers scheme

Post by st_ouennais Wed 29 Oct 2008, 10:19 pm

It is reported that some people who bought share transfer flats in the recent past have been told they are not eligible for this scheme, despite having been assured they would be when making the share transfer purchase.

Also the criteria for the scheme are pretty tight. You have to be A-H residentialy qualified, have a (joint) gross taxable income of bewteen £40,000 and £60,000 a year. You have to be a first time buyer. Since the only properties qualifying at the moment are new 3+ bedroom builds at La Moye and Goose Green, you also have to have at least one child living with you.

Unsurprisingly there have been few successful applicants.

Last edited by st_ouennais on Fri 31 Oct 2008, 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

st_ouennais

Male
Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Global environmental concern
Humor : Not today
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://st-ouennais.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

First-time buyer scheme in trouble Empty Re: First-time buyer scheme in trouble

Post by Simple Me Thu 30 Oct 2008, 10:32 pm

The States once again have got it so wrong, I could never fit the criteria that is given, so looks like I will be paying rent for the rest of my days

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

First-time buyer scheme in trouble Empty Re: First-time buyer scheme in trouble

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down