www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery

+2
Digger
GD
6 posters

Go down

People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery Empty People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery

Post by GD Tue 25 Nov 2008, 6:53 pm

By Anna Brehaut

People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery 31752602Merton Vinery, Pointes Lane.
PEOPLE wrapped in bedding dashed to safety when fire struck at a Pointes Lane vinery late on Saturday night, it has been revealed.
A St Andrew’s resident said she had seen five people run out of a greenhouse with bedding and duvets wrapped around them.
‘They sneaked out and tried not to be seen,’ she said. The Environment Department is expected to confirm today whether an inquiry has been launched into foreign staff sleeping at Merton Vinery.
There have been reports that they were sleeping in a greenhouse. Environment yesterday confirmed that it was investigating allegations that sheds at a vinery were being used for non-horticultural purposes.
Following Saturday’s fire in a packing shed at the vinery, the Guernsey Press received reports that it had been let and was being used for storage by Sails Gift Shop.
Merton Vinery owner Bruce Tostevin declined to comment on the allegations (from thisisguernsey)

It sounds like the owner of the site has a lot to answer for...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery Empty Re: People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery

Post by Digger Tue 25 Nov 2008, 7:16 pm

Oh dear ! We all knew this was going on , the trouble is it is highly dangerous as no one knows they were there. IE if you saw a house on fire you are more likely to try to gain access to help people out but if you see a shed or greenhouse on fire you are more likely to stand and watch.

If this turns out to be true i would hope the Environment Dept throws the book at the owners .
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery Empty Re: People wrapped in bedclothes flee late-night fire at vinery

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 25 Nov 2008, 7:25 pm

Digger wrote:Oh dear ! We all knew this was going on , the trouble is it is highly dangerous as no one knows they were there. IE if you saw a house on fire you are more likely to try to gain access to help people out but if you see a shed or greenhouse on fire you are more likely to stand and watch.

If this turns out to be true i would hope the Environment Dept throws the book at the owners .

I visited the site some weeks ago and suspected that this packing shed was being used as living quarters. I wish now I had done the right thing and reported my suspisions.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Tue 25 Nov 2008, 7:42 pm

I know it is easy to say after the fact but in this case a word in the appropriate ear might have come to some good.I know a lot of people don't like to stick their noses in but in circumstances like these it would be better to be safe than sorry.

What ever the reasons no one should should be doing this it is very dangerous and is not fair on the people who are living in very sub standard accommodation.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 26 Nov 2008, 11:56 am

THE Environment Department has launched an investigation into claims that foreign workers have been sleeping in greenhouses at Merton Vinery.
The department confirmed that it was looking into an alleged use of part of the premises for residential accommodation after inquiries by the Guernsey Press highlighted the issue.
Housing minister Dave Jones said he was aware of the claims made about foreign workers sleeping in a vinery in Pointes Lane, St Andrew’s, which is owned by Bruce Tostevin.
‘While the Housing Department will not comment on individual cases, it investigates all allegations relating to people who might be living or working unlawfully in the island,’ said a spokesman for the department.
‘Where there is evidence of people living or working unlawfully, the appropriate action is taken in all instances.’
Claims were made about Merton Vinery after a fire broke out in a packing shed on Saturday night. A parishioner reported that she had seen five people flee from the greenhouse with duvets and bedding wrapped around them. (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 27 Nov 2008, 7:44 pm

Digger wrote:I know it is easy to say after the fact but in this case a word in the appropriate ear might have come to some good.I know a lot of people don't like to stick their noses in but in circumstances like these it would be better to be safe than sorry.

What ever the reasons no one should should be doing this it is very dangerous and is not fair on the people who are living in very sub standard accommodation.

I agree...a lesson learnt for me.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 19 Dec 2008, 12:05 pm

Any update yet ?
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sat 07 Feb 2009, 5:51 pm

I cant believe no one has been held accountable for this yet what is taking so long ?
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Sun 08 Feb 2009, 10:43 am

Digger, there has been a lot of mis–information on this incident. The truth of the matter is that this Fire took place in the early evening and the blankets that the girls were wrapped in were given to them by near by residents as it was a chilly evening. Secondly all the girls are legally housed and that accommodation has been checked, the workers do have a canteen there on the site and that is where they were when this fire started. I am satisfied, as is my board that everything is above board and no one was living or sleeping on this site.

Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Male
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:10 am

Thanks for clearing that one up Dave , but i would suggest it does go on now and again ! Shocked What i would suggest is a statement to the media when it was investigated to state the outcome of the inquiry to stop the gossip.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:30 am

Yes - my Latvian friend used to work for the Thompson and Morgan flower people in St Sampsons - she had to pay for her lodgings which was in a house at the bottom of the Vale Hill - for £40 (four years ago) she got a bunk bed in a room with 5 other workers......and incidently, until she met me she had never heard of re-cycling!!!! she was shocked because she said all bottles etc from those premises went into the general rubbish......and I would say quite a lot of this happens with these 9 month licence guest workers........someone should sort that out!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Wed 18 Feb 2009, 9:58 am

Karma I agree with the point you makeWe have some legislation coming before the States this year to bring in minum standards for guest workers accomodation, some of it is appaling and we will make sure that those living in this type of accomodation are treated properly, if the owners do not comply then we will have the powers through the Enviromental health department to close these places down.

Digger, I should have made a more detailed statment at the time when our investgations were complete ,I was busy at the time and I didnt and I accept I am at fault on that issue.

Dave Jones

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 18 Feb 2009, 3:55 pm

Dave,

Will the guest workers accommodation legislation extend to staff quarters for hotels & restaurants? Some of the ones that I have been in over the years are appalling!!
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Wed 18 Feb 2009, 6:05 pm

Dave i was not laying the blame at you feet , it would have thought anyone from your department could have issued a statement , i know you are busy and things like that could be handed down the line.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 18 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

Hopefully Dave will come back soon and provide his view, I will look forward to what he has to contribute! Surprised
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Thu 19 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

Yes Dell, the legislation will apply to staff quaters in hotels ,guest houses etc, infact any staff quaters from any bussiness it is long overdue and I think it will recieve overwhelming support from the floor of the house.

Digger that is also true.

Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Thu 19 Feb 2009, 8:26 pm

Spellings not good, its been a long day

DJ

Dave Jones

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum