www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open"

+6
MarkyD
Spirit
wayside
pwbbounce
technophobe
GD
10 posters

Go down

Would you go again

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Vote_lcap100%The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 2 ]
The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Vote_lcap0%The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Empty The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open"

Post by GD Fri 21 Mar 2008, 4:36 pm

Your views

Last edited by GD on Tue 20 Jan 2009, 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Empty The Doghouse (Guernsey) to close

Post by GD Tue 06 Jan 2009, 8:10 am

February 14th will be the last day that the Doghouse will open,

Plans to are to turn the place into a restaurant

Its a shame that another "Live Music" venue is to close...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Empty Re: The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open"

Post by technophobe Tue 06 Jan 2009, 8:14 am

Where has that news come from?

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open" Empty Re: The Dog House (Guernsey) "Now staying open"

Post by GD Tue 06 Jan 2009, 8:37 am

Radio Guernsey this morning...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pwbbounce Tue 06 Jan 2009, 9:41 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=48230106910

Please can everyone visit this facebook page and join!! We need to keep The Doghouse from closing down!!!!

pwbbounce

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 06 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

This has been rumoured for the past 6 months, the fact is free entry music venues are not profitable,

The Dog House have provided a lot of good entertainment over the past 5 years or so but I have always wondered how they managed to bring over some of these bands without loosing a lot of money.

Its a shame to see any music venue go but I know myself, you provide entertainment and people dont go and as soon as you stop its the ones that never supported you that shout the loudest.

I tried local bands of some Friday and Saturdays in the ballroom at the wayside last year and had free entry we had less people than on a normal weekend night in the bar so have stopped wasteing my money.

Has anyone heard what sort of restaurant, I heard last night it was Chinese/Cantonese?
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 07 Jan 2009, 9:09 am

THE DOGHOUSE will close its doors as a music venue for the final time on Valentine’s Day - but all is not lost for lovers of live bands.
The music will play on for local bands and UK tribute acts, but at the Rockmount instead.
The proprietor of both, David Nussbaumer, said the Doghouse, which opened nine years ago, had run its course as a live music venue.
‘I believe we have played an important part in keeping music live in Guernsey. You only have to look at how many venues are now putting on gigs and the local scene is thriving.’
A major refit will follow the closure, in just under six weeks’ time, in preparation for the launch of a new restaurant and bar, due to open in March, the details of which are being kept under wraps.
The public bar at the back of the Rockmount will become a regular live music venue fitted with the stage units, sound and lighting systems from The Doghouse (thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 07 Jan 2009, 1:07 pm

So the real big news story (buried) is that the Rockmount back bar will no longer be a public bar.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Wed 07 Jan 2009, 6:38 pm

Going to be popular with some and not with others,
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkyD Wed 07 Jan 2009, 6:55 pm

It does beg the question though Wayside, that if the hosting of bands from the UK is unprofitable, why would the owner of both premises move this from one and put it onto the other?

I am not disagreeing with you that there was little or no money in this, as I am aware of the costs involved with bringing bands over from the UK, but it does seem a little strange.

I still believe that there is a market for live music in Guernsey, albeit I think that it would be more sustainable to host local bands and for them in turn to not demand such ridiculous rates for a regular slot with such an establishment. Perhaps the occasional UK band for special events.

I know local bands that wanted between £800 - £900 for a gig. I personally think that venues would be more interested in bands if they restricted them to weekends at rates half that amount.
MarkyD
MarkyD

Male
Number of posts : 1148
Job/hobbies : Professional Layabout
Humor : Manic - varying from dirty to clinically insane
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.cwgsy.net/community/minimotoraceclub

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Wed 07 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

I grew up in Rockmount back bar it seems a shame another good local public bar will be no more like it was so to speak . I know there is a need for a live music venue but imo it could have been thought out better , why could he not have used Cobo-bay x deepend as the new venue it always has been used for functions of some sort.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Wed 07 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

Sometimes when we have the funds to do things we want to do we go ahead even when it costs us, In my case the novelty wore off so I looked closer at what it was costing me,

I believe that the bands are not going to be as often as they used to be at the Doghouse, I wonder if it will work the same at the rockmount as the Doghouse was in a good place on the way in or out of town.

I hope its successful because the island need as much entertainment as it can get,

I have been trying to get regular music nights going at the Wayside but there seems little enthusiasm from local artists, you would think that a one night a month, country, or folk or jazz would be of interest but it seems not.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BinkyBunny Wed 07 Jan 2009, 9:54 pm

we have always liked our evenings at this venue and enjoyed the many bands sorry this is going to happen
BinkyBunny
BinkyBunny

Female
Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 20 Jan 2009, 8:35 am

Due to the public response the Dog House is to stay open until at least next year

Great news for the "Live Gig" scene...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 20 Jan 2009, 8:44 am

He would be daft to close it now, after all the free publicity that he has been getting.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 20 Jan 2009, 6:35 pm

It always gets free publicity ;-)
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 20 Jan 2009, 8:36 pm

`have never been so can't comment
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Tue 20 Jan 2009, 8:42 pm

I've been a few times and always enjoyed it there....glad its staying open.....:)
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum