www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off

+4
wayside
Digger
Pete Burtenshaw
GD
8 posters

Go down

M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off Empty M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off

Post by GD Wed 03 Dec 2008, 2:40 pm

Marks and Spencer is to hold a second one-day, 20%-off sale on Thursday, as it tries to tempt shoppers to spend despite the continuing economic gloom.
In its second one-day sale in two weeks, M&S said many stores would stay open until midnight to enable customers to take advantage of the discount.
M&S boss Sir Stuart Rose said the firm wanted to give shoppers "a helping hand in the run-up to Christmas".
Debenhams is also offering an "up to 20%-off" sale from Wednesday to Friday.
'Popular demand'
Sir Stuart said M&S understood that customers were "feeling the pinch".

M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off OM&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off Start_quote_rb Customers are facing tough times this Christmas and we want to help ease them through this period M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off End_quote_rb

Mark Newton-Jones, Littlewoods Direct

Thursday's one-day sale will apply to clothing, homewares and wine in both M&S stores and via its website.
The shops will also offer 20% off Christmas cakes and puddings, and the discount comes on top of the recent cut in VAT.
Debenhams has also already held a number of sales days, which it said had increased customer numbers by about two-thirds.
"We're back by popular demand - it's as simple as that," said Debenhams deputy chief executive Michael Sharp.
Economic concerns
Online retailer Littlewoods Direct is also cutting prices by up to 60% until 23 December.
"Despite the announced VAT cuts and falling fuel prices, customers are facing tough times this Christmas and we want to help ease them through this period," said Mark Newton-Jones, Littlewoods Direct chief executive.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off Empty Re: M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Wed 03 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

20% off from M&S over here.......what a con it should be a great deal more..........32% plus would be more advantageous

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off Empty Re: M&S to hold second one-day sale plus Littlewoods Direct up to 60% off

Post by GD Thu 04 Dec 2008, 2:17 pm

Channel Islands shoppers will not be able to take advantage of Marks and Spencer's (M&S) 20%-off sale.
The High Street giant is offering the discount across the UK, but not in its other territories.
In Jersey and Guernsey, the stores are franchise-trading partners who pay a fee to Marks and Spencer PLC.
Both islands said they had taken a business decision to opt out of the sale, although in Guernsey the M&S Per Una range is discounted for three days.
Nick Steel, the managing director in Jersey, said due to the size of the sale, the offer was not financially viable in the island.
He told BBC News Jersey had looked carefully at taking part in the event but the numbers did not "stack up".
It is the second one-day sale in two weeks, as M&S tries to tempt shoppers to spend. (from BBC News)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu 04 Dec 2008, 4:32 pm

Sounds about right Greed again.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 04 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:20% off from M&S over here.......what a con it should be a great deal more..........32% plus would be more advantageous

Why?
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 04 Dec 2008, 5:43 pm

what do you mean why????

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 04 Dec 2008, 7:42 pm

i asked why they had not taken the 2.5% vat off what we pay to be told we have a channel island price for items priced at over £25.greed and i will keep on saying it even though i know certain peeps don't think so.we are now paying more for m&s clothing in a zero rated area for vat than they are paying in the uk with 15%vat.
the reason given for no 20% off by the staff was they can't afford it.what a load of piffle.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Thu 04 Dec 2008, 8:36 pm

Thistle wrote:...the reason given for no 20% off by the staff was they can't afford it.what a load of piffle.
Really? What was their net profit last year? and how are sales this year to date? and forecasted?

I'm sure you have all these figures to hand seeing as you can be so sure what you're being told by those who do have those figures is piffle.

If you don't want M&S products don't buy them, but I wish people who clearly do not understand the retail business would stop stating that retailer X is greedy, or overpriced etc. when these markets aren't controlled; they set their own prices and succeed or fail based on market forces. All companies, or the overwhelming majority anyway, are there to make a profit.

Look at it from the other side, do you think the retailers whine about those consumers that take advantage of the milk sold at below cost in the UK supermarkets? No, because they accept the market conditions in this area are lead by the consumers actions.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 04 Dec 2008, 8:42 pm

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:what do you mean why????

Why is M & S Giving 20% off a con why should if be a great deal more and why 32%+?
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Fri 05 Dec 2008, 6:41 am

now surely a consumer would prefer a bigger discount.....makes sense does it not.........are we the consumer not allowed to ask for more??

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Fri 05 Dec 2008, 8:15 am

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:now surely a consumer would prefer a bigger discount.....makes sense does it not.........are we the consumer not allowed to ask for more??

Another nonsensical post. Of course the consumer can ask for more, and the retailer is entitled to agree or not, it's called the free market. Nobody's forcing you to buy anything from anywhere, so there's really no need to whine is there?

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Fri 05 Dec 2008, 10:43 am

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:now surely a consumer would prefer a bigger discount.....makes sense does it not.........are we the consumer not allowed to ask for more??

It was not you just asking for more you clearly said that they were conning us giving just 20% off and they should be giving 32% +

I dont feel M & S are conning anyone just reacting to the current market and also wondered why 32% was the figure that you though was not conning you.

I have learnt that even when we drop prices to 50-60 or 70% off to a level that we are clearly loosing money but sometimes need the space, people sometimes have the cheek to make me an offer for even less, my usual reaction now is to say sorry but no and when they leave the shop, put the price up a bit in case they come back to teach them for not buying when a bargain was being offered.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Fri 05 Dec 2008, 10:57 am

Slighty off subject wayside but do you mind if i ask what % of stock which you buy does not sell and you have to sell either to break even or at a loss to generate cash or create more room.

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 05 Dec 2008, 6:32 pm

The only sensible thing is to shop with your feet so to speak if you consider a retailer is charging way to much then don't buy it .

I know M&S food stuffs are of good quality but i would and could not shop there on a regular basis .
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sat 06 Dec 2008, 12:17 am

Chok Dee Ja wrote:Slighty off subject wayside but do you mind if i ask what % of stock which you buy does not sell and you have to sell either to break even or at a loss to generate cash or create more room.

As a general rule it would only be about 2-3%, but recently I had to condence 2 shops into one and then we dispensed with a store so we had about £75,000 of stock that was sold at cost or even less, we still have a few bits that are discontinued and at stupid prices.

Although things are not great at the moment suprisingly the last few months we are well up on last year but that was cr@p so nothing to shout about, I think our new lower prices have helped with that as we are at about normal sale prices all the time, the only problem is when we have a sale theres not going to massive discounts.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Sat 06 Dec 2008, 12:34 am

wayside wrote:
Chok Dee Ja wrote:Slighty off subject wayside but do you mind if i ask what % of stock which you buy does not sell and you have to sell either to break even or at a loss to generate cash or create more room.

As a general rule it would only be about 2-3%, but recently I had to condence 2 shops into one and then we dispensed with a store so we had about £75,000 of stock that was sold at cost or even less, we still have a few bits that are discontinued and at stupid prices.

Although things are not great at the moment suprisingly the last few months we are well up on last year but that was cr@p so nothing to shout about, I think our new lower prices have helped with that as we are at about normal sale prices all the time, the only problem is when we have a sale theres not going to massive discounts.

Thanks

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 06 Dec 2008, 7:11 am

wayside wrote:

It was not you just asking for more you clearly said that they were conning us giving just 20% off and they should be giving 32% +

I dont feel M & S are conning anyone just reacting to the current market and also wondered why 32% was the figure that you though was not conning you.

I have learnt that even when we drop prices to 50-60 or 70% off to a level that we are clearly loosing money but sometimes need the space, people sometimes have the cheek to make me an offer for even less, my usual reaction now is to say sorry but no and when they leave the shop, put the price up a bit in case they come back to teach them for not buying when a bargain was being offered.

Is that not a con buy inflating the price because a consumer dare ask for discount........what a way to run a business!!!!

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Sat 06 Dec 2008, 7:48 am

Pete the price had already beed reduced by 60% or 70% to create room for new stock yet people were still asking for further reductions,so no its not a con.

Like Wayside said in previous posts sometimes hes sold stock at lower than the value he paid and people also wanted more discount.

I like reading your threads they are great comedy content cyclops

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 06 Dec 2008, 7:55 am

Chok Dee Ja wrote:Pete the price had already beed reduced by 60% or 70% to create room for new stock yet people were still asking for further reductions,so no its not a con.

Like Wayside said in previous posts sometimes hes sold stock at lower than the value he paid and people also wanted more discount.

I like reading your threads they are great comedy content cyclops

sorry mate but where did wayside say he reduced his stock 60 to 70%?

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Sat 06 Dec 2008, 8:09 am

wayside wrote:

:bounce:

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 06 Dec 2008, 8:12 am

Chok Dee Ja wrote:
wayside wrote:

point taken.....but what was the original mark up??

:bounce:

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Sat 06 Dec 2008, 8:15 am

How the fcuk do i know lol

However he does state that he was selling at a loss.

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 06 Dec 2008, 8:23 am

Chok Dee Ja wrote:How the fcuk do i know lol

However he does state that he was selling at a loss.

well , you more or less know everyhting else.............

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 06 Dec 2008, 8:43 am

technophobe wrote:

Another nonsensical post. Of course the consumer can ask for more, and the retailer is entitled to agree or not, it's called the free market. Nobody's forcing you to buy anything from anywhere, so there's really no need to whine is there?

It seems you have severe problems with me giving my opinions thereby expressing the rights to freedom of speach a concept you can not fully grasp. I fully understand the principles of a free market system and market forces...........bring it on………….. :kat1:

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down