www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call to lift air passenger limit

5 posters

Go down

Call to lift air passenger limit Empty Call to lift air passenger limit

Post by GD Fri 09 Jan 2009, 1:26 pm

The budget airline Flybe has called for restrictions on the number of passengers allowed on its Guernsey to Jersey air link to be removed.
At present the number of seats it can sell on the route is limited.
But Flybe said that means there is not enough capacity during the summer high season.
Derek Coates, the chairman of rival airline Blue Island, said lifting Flybe's restrictions would have serious consequences for other air operators.
'Highly destructive'
Ian Taylor, from Flybe, said: "Guernsey stands alone in Europe as the only jurisdiction that has a licensing regime.
"If you compare that with other islands not too far away, I don't think that an open skies policy has been detrimental at all.
"In fact it has increased the number of carriers and the number of destinations that are on offer."
Derek Coates, chairman of Blue Island, said: "We have been in dialogue with the Office of Utility Regulation emphasising the need for year-round stability of air routes between the islands.
"Adding a third carrier on these well-served links will be highly destructive to both ourselves and Aurigny [the State-owned airline] with possible dire consequences."
Flybe is currently restricted to selling only a small percentage of its seats for inter-island flights.
Guernsey's Office of Utility Regulation is expected to publish a review looking at the regulatory aspects of the island's air links later this month. (from BBC News)

I think that the Islands need an "open air" policy

Lets face it the cost inter-island travel is expensive..
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Call to lift air passenger limit Empty Re: Call to lift air passenger limit

Post by Pegasus Fri 09 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm

Well I can understand why Guernsey do not want an open air policy, they cannot make thier own airline pay now, let alone get some real competition against it
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple Me Sun 11 Jan 2009, 10:59 pm

Pegasus wrote:Well I can understand why Guernsey do not want an open air policy, they cannot make thier own airline pay now, let alone get some real competition against it

I agree its Guernsey's fault why inter-island fares are so high, sell off Aurigny and let real competition begin

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterr Mon 12 Jan 2009, 8:26 am

It is hard to see how selling Aurigny would increase competition. The Guernsey licensing regime was in place well before it bought the airline. In fact if anything the regime has become far more liberal, even anti Aurigny, since its purchase. It is as if the States are abashed at their double role as regulator and airline owner. Surely they should have put the licensing role out to an independent body. Where it has been liberalised the effects have not always been beneficial. For instance it allowed a second operator on the Alderney-Jersey route and both services went under. They are also, shamefully, allowing Flybe to cherry pick the summer business on the Gsy/Manchester route while Aurigny maintains a year round service on the same route.

Certainly from a Guernsey point of view, if it sold Aurigny and the new owners sold on its Gatwick slots or used them for other routes then we would really be open to monopolistic abuse. I don't think the States of Guernsey wants to own an airline but it became a strategic necessity when the heathrow slots were sold on and then the second operator decided to pull out of the Gsy/Gatwick route.

Peterr

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Mon 12 Jan 2009, 9:38 am

I think that Guernsey, unlike the UK, has got it right. They are protecting their interest from foriegn control. The purchase of the fuel ships is another example of this policy.

The UK has lost control of far to many important things, including most of it's fuel supplies and industries.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down