www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parking spaces to be taxed?

2 posters

Go down

Parking spaces to be taxed? Empty Parking spaces to be taxed?

Post by GD Thu 22 Jan 2009, 6:17 pm

Parking spaces to be taxed? 0577027_cropped

ISLANDERS could be taxed for using private parking spaces in St Helier as part of possible new plans to reduce congestion in town.
Transport Minister Mike Jackson is considering a number of measures to ease pressure on the town’s increasingly busy road network, especially during the morning rush hour. Other potential plans include introducing a hopper bus service, encouraging businesses to alter their opening times to stagger the number of cars arriving in town and even using Le Petit Train to ferry commuters into St Helier.
Mr Jackson, who is also the Constable of St Brelade, said: ‘There are too many cars in St Helier at certain times of the day and it is important to encourage people to use alterative forms of transport. There are many things we can look at to encourage people to leave their cars at home, and this will hopefully reduce congestion.’
‘I would be reluctant to increase parking charges in the town’s car parks during the current economic climate, because that would hit the middle earners. But there are a tremendous number of private parking spaces in town which makes it so much easier for people to drive to work rather than get the bus.
‘We need to find a way of controlling the number of these private spaces, and one way of doing this could be taxing them.’ (from thisisjersey)

Another way of covering the black hole..
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Parking spaces to be taxed? Empty Re: Parking spaces to be taxed?

Post by Troy McClure Thu 22 Jan 2009, 6:40 pm

I spoken to Con. Jackson on the subject of parking, before he was made Minister; frankly, the guy doesn't have a clue.

He didn't seem to understand the subject and I don't think he's suited to the role he's been given (even forgeting that I don't think a Con. should be a MIn. anyway).

Taxing private parking spaces is ridiculous and unworkable; which department is going to enforce it? T&TS? Who are they to recognise what is and isn't a parking space? Planning? PoSH?

Another stupid idea.

What about congestion in St Brelade during the summer Minister; are you going to tax all the hotels with parking? Pizza Express? The shops at Le Quennevais Parade that provide parking? What would the Constable think of that??

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down