www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Ireland Killings

+2
kiwis kitten
GD
6 posters

Go down

Northern Ireland Killings Empty Northern Ireland Killings

Post by GD Sun 08 Mar 2009, 11:21 am

Gordon Brown has condemned an attack on an army base in Northern Ireland which killed two soldiers.
Four other people were also injured when gunmen struck at Massereene army base in County Antrim, 16 miles north of Belfast, on Saturday night.
The prime minister described the attack as "evil" and said "no murderer" would derail the peace process.
No one has said they carried out the attack, but it is thought to be the work of dissident republicans.
The soldiers are the first to be murdered in Northern Ireland since Lance Bombardier Stephen Restorick was killed by an IRA sniper in 1997.
'Shocked'
Mr Brown told the BBC: "I think the whole country is shocked and outraged at the evil and cowardly attacks on soldiers serving their country
"We will do everything in our power to make sure that Northern Ireland is safe and secure and I assure you we will bring these murderers to justice.

Police at the scene outside Massereene army base in Antrim

"No murderer will be able to derail a peace process that has the support of the great majority of Northern Ireland."
Northern Ireland Secretary Shaun Woodward condemned the shootings as "an act of criminal barbarism".
All four injured men have been taken to Antrim Area Hospital, about a mile away from the scene.
Of those who were injured, one person is critical, two are in a serious condition and another is serious but stable.
'Loud bangs'
Chief superintendent Derek Williamson said at about 2120 GMT on Saturday night a pizza delivery service sent two delivery men to the Antrim barracks. As they arrived, shots began to be fired.
He said the pizza delivery men were an innocent party and both were among those injured.

Northern Ireland Killings O

Northern Ireland Killings Start_quote_rb The attack is part of an attempt by dissident republicans to wreck the peace process and bring down the power-sharing Stormont Assembly Northern Ireland Killings End_quote_rb

Mark Simpson
Ireland correspondent, BBC News

Northern Ireland Killings Inline_dashed_line

After two gunmen with automatic rifles fired an initial volley of shots, which left those under attack lying on the ground, they moved forward and opened fire again.
He said: "There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this was an attempt at mass murder."
A major security operation is under way and the area surrounding the barracks, which is home to 38 Engineering Regiment, has been sealed off.
One witness who lives near the base told the BBC how he looked to the sky after hearing what he thought were fireworks.
He added: "Then I heard a lot of loud bangs again, only it was a lot more than there was initially - maybe between 10 and 20.
"Then the siren at the Army barracks went off. Then all you heard was the police sirens and ambulances and there was at least six ambulances.
"There was definitely six of the ambulances and God knows how many police cars - they just came out of the police station one after the other."

Northern Ireland Killings OSOLDIERS IN NORTHERN IRELAND
More than 500 soldiers have been killed during the conflict
Last solider killed was Stephen Restorick, shot by the IRA in 1997
At height of conflict 27,000 soldiers were in Northern Ireland
There are now about 5,000 soldiers in Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland's First Minister and Democratic Unionist Party leader Peter Robinson offered his sympathies to the families of the victims, and said he would postpone a scheduled trip to the United States.
Mr Robinson said the attack was "terrible reminder of the events of the past".
David Ford, the leader of the Alliance Party, said it was "inconceivable" that the attack could have been carried out by anyone other than dissident republicans.
Ian Paisley Jnr, a DUP member of the Northern Ireland Assembly and the Policing Board, said the shooting could prove to be a defining moment in Northern Ireland's history.
The leader of the nationalist SDLP, Mark Durkan, condemned the "murderous" attacks.
The attack comes shortly after Sir Hugh Orde, the chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, requested the Special Reconnaissance Regiment's help to gather intelligence on dissident republicans.
Mr Robinson said the Massereene attack vindicated his decision, which had been criticised by Sinn Fein. (from BBC News)

Lets hope that this will not bring back old conflicts...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Northern Ireland Killings Empty Re: Northern Ireland Killings

Post by kiwis kitten Sun 08 Mar 2009, 6:30 pm

I thought the very same when i heard about this last night.......
Lets hope not........... :roll:
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 09 Mar 2009, 7:16 am

so sad.it is believed it was a splinter cell of a splinter group.like the others i hope it doesn't bring back the troubles .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 10 Mar 2009, 9:18 am

A policeman has been murdered in County Armagh just 48 hours after two soldiers were shot by the Real IRA in Antrim.
The shooting happened on Monday night at Lismore Manor, Craigavon, at about 2145 GMT, police said.
Police were responding to a call for help from a distressed woman. Two police vehicles went to the scene.
As officers got out, they were shot at, one was hit and died later. The dead police officer was married with children.
Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde called it a "sad day" for Northern Ireland's force and said the gunmen were "criminal psychopaths".
"It reminds us that a small group of people determined to wreck what is a huge political progress are becoming more dangerous," he said.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has condemned the murderers and insisted there would be "no return to the old days" in Northern Ireland.
"These are murderers who are trying to distort, disrupt and destroy a political process that is working for the people of Northern Ireland," he said.

Sir Hugh Orde: "It's a sad day for the police service of Northern Ireland"

Mr Brown, who travelled to Northern Ireland on Monday to visit the scene of the two soldiers' murders in Antrim, said gunmen would "never be allowed to undermine the political process".
This is the first murder of a police officer in NI since 1998. Constable Frank O'Reilly was killed by a loyalist blast bomb during disturbances linked to the Drumcree dispute in 1998.
The last police officers murdered by republicans, RUC constables Roland John Graham and David Andrew Johnston, were shot dead by the IRA in Lurgan, County Armagh in June 1997.
The man who died last night was the first PSNI officer to have been murdered by paramilitaries since the force was formed in 2001.
Dissident republicans tried to kill two PSNI officers in shootings in Derry and Dungannon in November 2007.
They have also been linked to a booby trap bomb which exploded under a police officer's car in Spamount, County Tyrone in May 2008.
'Disparate groups'
Politicians from all parties condemned Monday's killing, which Northern Ireland Secretary Shaun Woodward insisted would not damage the peace process.
The chief constable said it was too early to identify the killers.
"We are used to being attacked, but we will not step back," Sir Hugh said.
"This will not put off me or my officers delivering the service we do to the communities we are paid to protect."
Asked if the killing was linked to the soldiers' shooting at the weekend, Sir Hugh said: "I think you are giving (the attackers) credit they ill deserve.

The Northern Ireland secretary condemns the shooting

"I think these are disparate groups, badly infiltrated and indeed many awaiting trial north and south of the border.
"It just reminds us that a small group of people determined to wreck what is huge political progress are becoming more dangerous."
Mr Woodward said: "It may be that this small number of criminals do regrettably have the capacity, at the moment, to take away life, but what they will never have is the capacity to take away from people the peace process and the political progress that's been made.
"My job and every politician's job in Northern Ireland is to give the people of Northern Ireland what they want, which is freedom, the rule of law and democracy - and we will do that."
The first and deputy first ministers have again postponed an investment visit to the US following the murder. (BBC News)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blanche du bois Tue 10 Mar 2009, 9:25 am

Very worrying time for the North. I really hope the relevant authorities can nip this in the bud before it returns to anything like the 80's. I would say residents are so worried that the peace is going to collapse.

Unfortunately, I think these scumbags will get away with alot of what they do.

blanche du bois

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Tue 10 Mar 2009, 8:01 pm

I think u could be right Blanche....But i hope it gets sorted soon....

Its a shame to think that a small group of ppl could ruin things for many..............
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Mar 2009, 8:32 pm

That is a fact everywhere - unfortunately!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Tue 10 Mar 2009, 10:41 pm

Its Tony Blairs fault for letting all those murdering thugs out of prison in the first place. All in the name of a peace process, more like appeasement. He appeases the terrorists then goes on to open our borders to all and sundry. He should be tried for treason.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Mar 2009, 10:43 pm

treason - and the rest !!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down