www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close

+2
6 posters

Go down

Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close Empty Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close

Post by GD Tue 10 Mar 2009, 8:57 pm

JERSEY Coal is to close after 41 years. It has been forced out of the market by supermarkets selling cut-price fuel.
The firm, based in Bellozanne Valley, will shut its doors for the final time on 31 March, with the loss of six full-time jobs. Its sister company, JCD Garden Designs, will also close. The company, which started trading in 1968, today said that it could not compete with supermarkets and petrol stations which sold large quantities of cheap, lower quality coal.
Sean Blake, Jersey Coal general manager, said: ‘With more and more cheap and inferior coal hitting Jersey, the high rental costs of the showroom and store, and the additional costs of handling Itis and GST, the business is simply no longer viable. It’s a very sad situation, because we are a Jersey company and we are very passionate about importing quality fuel to the Island and providing quality service to our customers. The supermarkets have brought in coal before, but not on this level, and we just can’t compete with them.’ (from thisisjersey)

From what I remember that because the Coal Merchants "Hiked" the prices earlier last year it made the supermarkets look elsewhere for product. so I think hey have only themselves to blame...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close Empty Re: Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close

Post by karma Tue 10 Mar 2009, 8:58 pm

nevertheless - poor staff - bet they didn't have a say in the 'hike' :x

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close Empty Re: Six jobs go as Jersey Coal is forced to close

Post by bug1 Tue 10 Mar 2009, 9:01 pm

You may be right.The problems occur once markets are flooded with cheaper but inferior products.Where can you then go apart from off Island?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 11 Mar 2009, 7:57 am

its only the coal merchants who are saying the coal is inferior.of course they have got to have a reason for closing other than their own greed.i feel sorry for the staff who as others have said didn/t have a say in the huge price hike.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:52 am

The coal is inferior

Ross

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Sun 15 Mar 2009, 9:30 am

Ross wrote:The coal is inferior

But selling more it seems than the superior coal Razz

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Wed 18 Mar 2009, 6:32 pm

Which do you think is inferior?

Ross

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum