www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop

2 posters

Go down

‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop Empty ‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop

Post by GD Tue 31 Mar 2009, 10:40 pm

ANOTHER charity shop is to open on the Bridge and the news has drawn a mixed response from traders in the area.
In the last year, three such operations have set up in former retail premises - Creasey’s Toy Shop, Sales and Island Wide. Now the Bridge Motor Shop’s former premises is being turned into an outlet for Communicate, bringing the total to six.
The charity helps young people with communication difficulties to get into work.
Bridge Traders head Martin Search welcomed the move.
‘The charity shops are in places on short-term leases because of the redevelopment of Leale’s Yard,’ he said. ‘No proper business is going to rent these buildings. It’s too short term a lease.
‘It’s fantastic to have the charity shops down there. It brings more footfall and keeps the Bridge busy.’
Sue Charman, who runs Beddi-Buys, agreed it was best that the shops were filled but would rather see retailers there than charity shops.
‘I think there are too many charity shops in one street,’ she said. ‘I would like to see other retail outlets. The more retail outlets that disappear, the more people will have to go further afield to get everything they want. I think charity shops are a wonderful thing, but I think this many in one area is a bit much.’ (from thisisguernsey)

The trouble is its getting like some of the UK towns, Eastleigh is a classic example, main shopping mall, then outside on the "Old" main street is loads of charity shops, its a shame but the bridge could become just like it..
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop Empty Re: ‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop

Post by Thistle Wed 01 Apr 2009, 8:30 am

i think i would rather see some charities able to make some money than see loads of empty shops on the bridge
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop Empty Re: ‘Overkill’ fears as Bridge gains another charity shop

Post by GD Sat 15 Aug 2009, 10:41 am

THE influx of charity shops on the Bridge is bad for business, according to a retailer who is moving out.

‘It has never been a pleasure selling here,’ said Ken Smith, owner of The Bridge Furniture Shop.

He has traded on the Bridge for six years but is now hoping to move back to a more rural location.

Mr Smith said the shop had never been as profitable as at its previous location, Grandes Rocques.

‘People were coming in to buy there, but 70% of the customers on the Bridge are just passing on their way to get their prescription or to go to the charity shops. The rejection rate seems to be a lot higher,’ he said.

While the influx of charity shops in the area - seven in the St Sampson’s centre - was good news for them, it was not conducive to business.

‘Some people have unrealistic expectations. They are coming in here and expecting the same prices,’ said Mr Smith, who used to employ nine staff but now has just one.

He said there had been a chain reaction with one shop closing after another. (from thisisguernsey)

The Town dying, the Bridge becoming "The Charity Zone" the days of traditional shopping are gone...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down