www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday shop shake-up

+3
GD
7 posters

Go down

Sunday shop shake-up Empty Sunday shop shake-up

Post by GD Sat 04 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

MANY more shops could soon be allowed to open seven days a week under the biggest shake-up of Sunday trading laws in 50 years.

Economic Development want to scrap the current system which means that only 20 or so types of products on a prescribed list can be sold on the Sabbath.

They also want to end the postcode lottery – which has led to similar shops being able to open in some parishes and not others – and make it easier for shops to open on special occasions, including the run-up to Christmas, Good Friday and Liberation Day.

To effect the changes, Economic Development have drafted a new law which will update rules that have been in place since 1960.

At present, any shop can open on a Sunday, but can only sell goods on the prescribed list. The new draft law proposes that parish Constables will have discretion to allow any shops to open. However, regulations can be introduced after the law is passed that would place limitations on that discretion (from JEP)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Sunday shop shake-up Empty Re: Sunday shop shake-up

Post by kat Sat 04 Jul 2009, 3:56 pm

closing shops give some folks time to clean outside and time to breathe
they cannot make a living in some shops opening now
perhaps it should be on a rota like the chemist that was every gets a bite of the cherry
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat 04 Jul 2009, 9:13 pm

I would have to be desperate to shop on a Sunday - but I think each to their own and if one shop can open - so should all of them be able to - but only if they wish....

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 05 Jul 2009, 12:53 am

When I am in the USA I do like the idea that shops are open on sundays and late till 8pm,

I am not sure that I would open sundays, even if I could but if everyone else did you may have to, to survive.

If you are not particularly religious or dont have kids etc then I suppose as long as you get a day off it does not matter when it is.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 05 Jul 2009, 5:48 am

What I dont understand is this - you have 7 days in a week - and you have a disposible income of 'xxxx' amount. IMO whether shops are open 5/6/or 7/ days a week - people are still only going to spend the amount of money they have spare......unless they are hell bent on getting into debt...I for instance can imagine needing a loaf of bread or something similar - but I cannot really think that I would get such an overwhelming need for a computer/furniture/bed linen/perfume etc etc that I could not wait a day....why does everything to day have to be 'instant'????

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 05 Jul 2009, 7:37 am

maybe shops should be allowed to open on a sunday on a trial basis to see if it is worthwhile.would i go shopping on a sunday .i already do to m&s at st martins and they are always packed.much bigger queues than on any weekday
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by st_ouennais Sun 05 Jul 2009, 7:42 am

Just a passing eco oriented thought. If shops are open longer, they are likely consuming more power (lighting, heating/air con). Not particularly desirable.

st_ouennais

Male
Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Global environmental concern
Humor : Not today
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://st-ouennais.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 05 Jul 2009, 9:08 am

st_ouennais wrote:Just a passing eco oriented thought. If shops are open longer, they are likely consuming more power (lighting, heating/air con). Not particularly desirable.

not just eco but the electricity and the extra staff has to be paid as well....We are still in a recession...
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: