www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery

+2
kiwis kitten
GD
6 posters

Go down

Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery Empty Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery

Post by GD Mon 10 Aug 2009, 3:22 pm

Kerry Greaves, an 18-stone woman from York who wanted to lose weight to prevent her daughter being bullied at school, has died following gastric surgery.

The 30 year-old underwent an operation to fit a gastric band because she feared her three-year-old daughter Melissa would be teased for having a fat mother picking her up at the school gates.
Severe complications meant her stomach failed to heal after the surgery and despite 14 further operations to save her life she died of organ failure.

Mrs Greaves's mother, Anne, 49, said: "She did it for her daughter. She didn't want her to be picked on at school. She didn't want things said to her like 'your mum's fat' and stuff like that.
"We didn't think she needed to do it but she had made up her mind, so we respected that. I'm so proud of her. It was her choice and she made it because she loved Melissa and would do anything for her."
Gastric banding involves fitting a band around the upper part of the stomach. The procedure can create complications such as a risk of infection and, in rare cases, leaking of the stomach.
The band is fitted around the upper part of the stomach and the procedure is considered a last resort for people who are morbidly obese or have a condition which poses a serious health risk, such as diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease.
Some studies have shown patients lose up to 65 per cent of their excess weight in the two years after a gastric band is fitted.
The death rate associated with gastric band insertions is estimated at one in 2,000 operations.
Mrs Greaves, from Tang Hall, York, underwent her operation at York District Hospital.
She looked to be in the clear until four days after the initial surgery when doctors discovered her stomach was leaking bile. She died on July 22 after a month of attempts to save her life.
Mrs Greaves had been separated from Melissa's father Carl for two years. He is currently looking after their daughter.
Mrs Greaves' mother Anne, a cleaner, added: "Even though neither me or her brothers thought she was fat, she had her heart set on losing weight. She had tried Weight Watchers and Slimfast, but only ever lost a few pounds and wanted to lose more.
"It all came down to Melissa. She had just started nursery and even though Kerry had never been bullied because of her weight at school, she thought other kids might pick on Melissa because her mum was big.
"She was due to start school next year and Kerry just wanted to be slim so the kids wouldn't say Melissa had a fat mum. That was the number one reason. It just shows how caring and selfless she was.
"My advice to anybody thinking of having this operation would be to find more pride in yourself and don't do it."
Mrs Greaves had planned to take her daughter, who she called her "little princess," on a holiday to Spain later this year following the surgery.
During a eulogy at her funeral, Rev Allan Hughes told the 150-strong congregation: "Her fighting qualities shone through in hospital when she seemed on the brink of death several times. Each time, she summoned up reserves of strength which kept her going, until at last she could fight no more." (from telegraph)

Its a difficult decesion to take for some, what do you think, would yopu have this operation?

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery Empty Re: Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery

Post by kiwis kitten Mon 10 Aug 2009, 3:38 pm

How sad...

I know a few ppl just recently who have had this done and in my opinion didn't need it....they were far from being morbidly obese....seems to me these days its a quick fix..but having said that i am not against it....and if need be i would have it done...

this story makes u think though....most i know have been fine after it..few little probs but have lost weight and live a normal life...
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery Empty Re: Mother who slimmed for daughter dies after gastric band surgery

Post by karma Mon 10 Aug 2009, 3:43 pm

A friend of mine died last year - about 4 years after having this surgery - so sad she left a hubby and 2 young sons....it didn't go right from the beginning and she couldn't cope with the 'rules' so broke them constantly!!! I am certain that most children would rather have a 'big' mum than no mum at all - as for me even if I needed one I would not I am a canary - just plain yellow!!! I think I might choose to go to the hynotist who hypnotised a lady into thinking she had had the op and she dropped 4 stone!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Mon 10 Aug 2009, 4:05 pm

Thats so sad Karma...

And...we never get to hear the 'bad' side of these ops..

I always thought the band was less invasive...

Soo many ppl are going for them now.....quite worrying really !!
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 10 Aug 2009, 4:18 pm

It's instant gratification - over-ruling common sense and will-power!!!! Too easy to muck with Mother Nature's gifts and so far no-one knows what it does to you in later life....scary! Easier (and safer) to find a man who 'likes em big' LOL

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Mon 10 Aug 2009, 4:23 pm

very true indeedy........ Wink
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Mon 10 Aug 2009, 4:34 pm

Why oh why can't people accept themselves as they are.The few people I know who have had this because they're not happy with their weight are thinner but are no happier with themselves.So to what end?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 10 Aug 2009, 4:56 pm

Blame the 'airbrushing' that goes on in fashion magazines.....

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Mon 10 Aug 2009, 5:46 pm

yep..i agree totally Karma....
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 10 Aug 2009, 6:08 pm

think i will keep on trying to diet.have lost 3 and a half stone in 9 months .will keep at it only another 2 mand a bit to go before i am at a reasonable size but the docs will still say i am overweight.for me there will be a sense of satisfaction and dare i say it pride. x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Mon 10 Aug 2009, 9:13 pm

how very sad - of course all surgery, no matter how major or minor carries a element of risk.  
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum