www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else

5 posters

Go down

Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else Empty Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else

Post by GD Thu 10 Sep 2009, 7:50 pm

VAZON BAY users who think surfers are a danger should move up the beach or swim elsewhere, according to the owner of Freedom Surf Shop.

Last week some claimed surfers were taking up too much space and that an accident was likely.

Keen surfer and swimmer Peter Norman said that view was ridiculous.

‘Vazon is the only beach that gets surf. If you really have a problem with the crowds, you can swim further up the beach or elsewhere.

‘I have a five-year-old girl and we swim at the north end,’ he said.

As well as families and individual surfers, Guernsey Surf School has used the beach for the last two years.

The school can teach up to 40 young people at a time. It is allowed to use the surf area, as well as one 200 metres to the north.

Mr Norman said many parents had come to his surf shop to buy wetsuits and boards after their children had had lessons.

‘They are so pleased with the surf school and they want to encourage surfing because the kids have something to do.

‘In the summer there are crowds of families down there who have kids in the water and everyone is having a great time,’ he said.

Mr Norman said it was important to get children out of their bedrooms and surfing was a fantastic hobby.

‘You get a real respect for the sea. We need to encourage kids to have a healthy life over here and get them out and about.’

He said the beach was big enough, but it did become crowded towards the end of August.

‘It comes to a head in the summer holidays, but then the children will go back to school.’ (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else Empty Re: Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else

Post by technophobe Fri 11 Sep 2009, 12:12 am

Absolutely right, there are dozens of beaches to swim, only a couple for surfing.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else Empty Re: Too many surfers? Swim somewhere else

Post by kat Fri 11 Sep 2009, 4:52 pm

i have always thought vazon was for the surfers ..like it has been said there are many beaches choose another one
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marby Sat 03 Oct 2009, 6:19 pm

When I was a kid (in the 60s) there were 2 flags and signs saying that "swimming in this area is dangerous". There is a nasty rip curent at high tide at the "surfers end of vazon" leave well allone

Marby

Male
Number of posts : 20
Job/hobbies : Scuba Diving
Humor : Dark
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 03 Oct 2009, 6:35 pm

love watching the surfers at vazon.leave them alone and swim at cobo instead
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum