www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why no UK baby buggy recall?

2 posters

Go down

Why no UK baby buggy recall? Empty Why no UK baby buggy recall?

Post by GD Tue 10 Nov 2009, 6:21 pm

Why no UK baby buggy recall? 999999

Why no UK baby buggy recall? _46701735_008253761-1 The recall will not be extended to the UK and the rest of Europe

British company Maclaren is recalling one million pushchairs in the US after 12 cases of children slicing off their fingertips in the hinges of certain collapsible buggies. But why is no similar action taking place in the UK?
Maclaren has voluntarily launched a recall of all its single and double umbrella pushchairs in the States, including the popular Volo and Techno products.
There have been reports of 15 children catching their fingers in the buggies' hinge mechanisms, resulting in a dozen "fingertip amputations".
It has prompted the Consumer Product Safety Commission in the US to warn parents to stop using the pushchairs with immediate effect.
Meanwhile, Maclaren USA is making free hinge covers available in a bid to address the problem.
Potential risk
BBC business reporter Nick Cosgrove says the move in the US is thought to be one of the most sweeping product recalls in history.
But the firm, based at Long Buckby in Northamptonshire, says there are no plans for a recall in the UK and the rest of Europe, following discussions with trading standards officials.
Northamptonshire's trading standards chief David Hedger says the term actually has a different meaning in the US.
"The product recall in the US is to alert people to a potential safety risk and no products are being actually taken back from consumers," he said.
Such a recall in the UK was not a legal requirement for Maclaren because its pushchairs conformed to EU regulations, he added.
Finger caught
Debbie Bird from online retailer Babyworld is mystified that action is not being taken in the UK.
She said: "As a retailer selling these products I think we need to know what the problem is in the UK because we will undoubtedly be asked these questions by the people that have bought their products from us.
"I don't know why Maclaren aren't doing it here. Whether it's because there's less volume or less incidents that are being reported, and they don't feel it's an issue here."
Meanwhile, teacher Lara Bond's daughter Jemima had her fingertip cut off when she jumped into a Maclaren Volo as it was being unfolded last year. The finger was re-attached but she has been left with a scar.
Her mother told the BBC: "She lost the pad on the top of her finger in the pushchair when it folded on her.
Why no UK baby buggy recall? OWhy no UK baby buggy recall? Start_quote_rb It was very unpleasant. There was a lot of blood and a lot of screaming and she was in shock for a while Why no UK baby buggy recall? End_quote_rb

Lara Bond
Mother

"I was unfolding the pushchair for her to get in and she and her brother, as children are, are impatient.
"They tried to get into the pushchair just before I got it down. It folded up and she caught the tip of her finger - luckily not the bone.
"It was very unpleasant. There was a lot of blood and a lot of screaming and she was in shock for a while.
"I took the pushchair to the tip the week after because I didn't feel very safe using it with her any more."
Global standards
Maclaren, which started making pushchairs in 1967, says it designs its buggies to "specifically exceed global standards for safety, reliability and durability".
The company said in a statement: "In response to accidents which occurred when buggies were not operated in line with instructions and safety guidelines our US company decided to voluntarily supply kits to cover the elbow joint as a safety measure."
So what steps is Maclaren taking in the UK? Well, the company is adding labels warning parents to keep children away from the buggy when it is being folded or unfolded.
And the advice from the firm is to "take the same level of caution and care as when opening or closing a car door or any other moving part that can be found in many other baby and toddler products". (from BBC)

Typical because Americans have the right to sue left right & centre, Maclaren panics, but in the UK they have no fear of being sued...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Why no UK baby buggy recall? Empty Re: Why no UK baby buggy recall?

Post by bug1 Tue 10 Nov 2009, 10:31 pm

QUOTE GD says"Typical because Americans have the right to sue left right & centre, Maclaren panics, but in the UK they have no fear of being sued..".

Hold on there a minute GD.From what has been stated the injuries occur when the buggy is being folded/collapsed. Ergo the child should not be in/near it!Parental responsibility? Regretably children suffer numerous injuries from car doors,scissors,knives etc.Should these be withdrawn? Just try to keep little fingers from danger!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down