www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs

3 posters

Go down

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs Empty Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs

Post by GD Thu 12 Nov 2009, 8:30 am

More than a quarter of posts at Jersey Telecom (JT) are to be cut in a bid to save £7m in the coming year, the States-owned company has announced.
The firm, which employs about 400 people, said up to 80 staff were to be made redundant as it needed to cut costs across the entire business.
It is in addition to 35 people who signed up for voluntary redundancy, and further posts which will not be filled.
The GMB union has described it as a "sad situation" so close to Christmas.
The company said it still had to cut costs despite making savings of £2.6m this year and pre-tax profits in 2008 of £11m.

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs OJersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs Start_quote_rb Jersey Telecom ... is being destroyed by unrealistic targets Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs End_quote_rb

Tim Langlois, GMB

JT Chief Executive Officer Bob Lawrence said the move was necessary to ensure the business is "fit for the future".
He said: "We face a challenging future where the pressures from competition, regulation and ever-changing technology is resulting in us having to make substantial operational cost savings and fundamental changes to both our structure and the way we in which we work.
"This means that we will have to take a number of tough decisions to achieve this."
Tim Langlois, from the GMB union, which represents more than 300 of JT's employees, said the situation had come about because of decisions made by politicians to introduce competition.
He said: "In an island this small it is madness. JT could have been regulated without competition which would have had the same effect on prices.
"JT is a Jersey States-owned company that is being destroyed by unrealistic targets imposed upon them by the regulator."
He said the union would work "tirelessly" with managers to ensure that JT's redundancy process was followed. (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs Empty wave to cut jobs

Post by Thistle Thu 12 Nov 2009, 4:52 pm

JERSEY TELECOM'S JOB CUTS COULD AFFECT WAVE STAFF HERE

Wave Telecom staff could be facing redundancy as their parent company goes through a massive effort to cut costs….
Jersey Telecom need to see their spending fall by £7 million pounds
over the next year. They've announced 80 posts will have to be scrapped
as part of that. Wave, which is based in Guernsey, is one bit of their
business that's growing. JT Chief Exec Bob Lawrence doesn't expect to
see as many jobs lost here but that doesn't mean there won't be any (taken from sure website)

having recently changed to a contract with wave i was disgusted to find that i cannot send to or receive picture messages from a sure phone.i was not advised of this at the time i signed the contract on monday have been in today and cancelled the complete package of phone and broadband.i also had to pay almost full price for the phone i had received .maybe if wave gave a damn about their customers and set up inter connectivity with sure they wouldnt be seeing all these job losses.i will now stay with sure for my mobile and for the time being with newtel for broadband
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs Empty Re: Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs

Post by Dell Thu 12 Nov 2009, 9:39 pm

Yes....... but is Newtel now owned by Wave?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs Empty Re: Jersey/Wave Telecoms is cutting 115 jobs

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down