www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local shop owners fear for the future

Go down

Local shop owners fear for the future Empty Local shop owners fear for the future

Post by GD Mon 04 Jan 2010, 12:07 pm

Local shop owners fear for the future 0896467GUERNSEY shop owners are concerned for their future after one announced its closure last week and another revealed its days were numbered.
Ray Anthony owner Brian Le Noury (pictured) thought the closure of retailer Pioneer was a sign of the times and said his shop would shut down when he retires.
‘There are still a number of us who persevere, but sadly the time will come when we have next to nothing in the way of local shops,’ he said.
Mr Le Noury has had his Commercial Arcade gentlemen’s clothes shop since 1985.
‘I will retire in the next couple of years and will have to close the shop then. Town is in a sorry state – I know the owners of Pioneer well because they have been going for years.’
Various factors were crippling island retail, he said.
‘Local businesses cannot afford the high rents and you can’t get young staff who are interested in retail, as I was. You can’t pay people the rates banks pay them and it is hard work, not just nine-to-five.
‘And the internet is having an effect, as is other off-island shopping.’ (from thisisguernsey)

And other small shops like Grand Bouet Stores are closing every month...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum