www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retail sales down

2 posters

Go down

Retail sales down Empty Retail sales down

Post by GD Wed 20 Jan 2010, 11:12 am

The amount of goods sold on Jersey's high street in the third quarter of 2009, was 3% lower than the year before.

It's the fourth successive quarter that retail sales volumes have dropped in the island.

The Minister for Economic Development, Alan Maclean told Channel Online: "It's not a surprise probably, although it's sad to say so. But obviously the island economy is suffering through the downturn, and retail is a sector that we picked up through the business tendency survey that came out recently is finding it particularly difficult. Many businesses are finding activity levels are down, and consequently profitability is down so obviously there's quite a struggle going on in the retail in the highstreet."

Whilst the amount of non food sales was 7% down, food sales were up by 2% reflecting a change in habits in response to the recession, with more people for instance choosing to eat at home. (from CTV)

And I do not think its going to change in the immediate future...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Retail sales down Empty Re: Retail sales down

Post by karma Wed 20 Jan 2010, 12:20 pm

Funny that! 3% happens to be the GST Jersey now pays!! coincidence methinks Retail sales down Lol

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down