www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is to blame?

+3
Alpy
7 posters

Go down

Who is to blame? Empty Who is to blame?

Post by GD Thu 21 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

If your child comes back from the shops with a lamb chop instead of the the breakfast rashers you requested, don’t be too surprised. More than a quarter of teenagers believe bacon comes from sheep, not pigs.
Almost a third think oats grow on trees rather than in fields and just under a fifth believe eggs are a vital ingredient in making bread.
‘It shows how important it is to teach the adults of tomorrow about the food they eat,’ said Peter Kendall, president of the National Farmers’ Union.
‘Everyone should know where primary foods like cereals are grown and the role they play as part of a healthy balanced diet.
‘It is critical that children and adults alike understand more about their food, and the role British farmers play in producing it,’ he added.
Older generations knew ‘much more’ about their food, showed the poll of 3,000 people on behalf of industry body the Home Grown Cereals

So who is to blame...

Is it the Parents, who seem not to have the time to teach their children the basic facts?

Or is it the Schools, who are not teaching the basics in education?

Tell us what you think....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Who is to blame? Empty Re: Who is to blame?

Post by karma Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:43 pm

We had compulsory lessens in cooking the basic foods required to feed a family (my mother loved it as she didn't have to cook one day a week) now the kids think the freezer cabinet in the supermarket is where everything comes from - so IMO it is equal blame - schools stopped 'Domestic Science' quite a long time ago and parents are too busy working to pay the mortgage to cook from scratch! Razz wont come shoping with me because I read the ingredients in every packet I wish to purchase and if they are a bit 'suss' I don't buy!!! simple and I am pleased to say my daughter and son are the same and my grandson is a good cook as well - so if school doesn't - parents have a duty to teach! Simple as that......................

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Fri 22 Jan 2010, 7:35 am

I think most parents don't or can't cook so how should the kids learn?
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 22 Jan 2010, 7:51 am

we had compulsory cooking lessons at school when i was a child.its not difficult buy a cookery book or even find recipes on the net and just follow them .not rocket science is it.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 22 Jan 2010, 8:01 am

Schools it should be part of thier lessons ,but parents shuld also take an active part .my children used to help me with cooking and we used to cook from scratch as we could not afford fast ready made food .
but as i was involed with a group of young girls i was amazed theat most did not know what some vegetables were ,how to cook them and how to prepare them
we once made up some veggie soup from scratch .most said they did not like veggie soup ,but after we had made it all they all ate it and asked for seconds .
my son also knows how to cook and will take his turn in his home.My daughter is also an very good cook and will buy good cheap ingredients to cook for her children .
this is what all children should learn
it would save them many pounds in their shopping bill
ready made foods can play a part in life for those times when you need to have a rest .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Fri 22 Jan 2010, 5:10 pm

There used to be an expression in my youth that was used about common knowledge and facts.It was"what every schoolboy knows"
regrettably that would appear no longer to apply.!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Fri 22 Jan 2010, 7:48 pm

The concern is not what kids know as far as cooking a meal is concerned, if you are hungry and have the ingrediants you will soon learn. The concern has to be, from the editorial, the lack of knowledge that the kids have in regards to where an item comes from. I may not know how to cook a lamb chop but I certainly know you don't find one on a cow and you can't find haggis running round the moors before easter!! It is ignorance that is the concern.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down