www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Old Harbour and St Helier Marina plans on hold

Go down

Jersey Old Harbour and St Helier Marina plans on hold Empty Jersey Old Harbour and St Helier Marina plans on hold

Post by GD Fri 05 Feb 2010, 6:47 pm

Jersey Old Harbour and St Helier Marina plans on hold _46925176_new_marina_and_flats Some boat owners have protested over the redevelopment plans

Proposed redevelopment at St Helier Marina and the Old Harbour in Jersey have been put on hold by the economic development minister.
Boat owners had raised concerns about where visitor berths were being moved to and the flooding of the Old Harbour.
Senator Alan Maclean said because of people's concerns a task force would now be formed to explore possible options.
The Jersey Harbours department had already begun a consultation exercise.
In a letter to local boat owners, Senator Maclean said: "In light of concerns and some misunderstanding, I believe a new approach is essential."
Under the original plan more berths would be created for local boat owners at St Helier Marina, while new visitor berths would be put outside the main gate.
The old drying-harbour nearest to Commercial Buildings would be flooded.
'Year of listening'
The Marina Development Task and Finish Group (MDG) will be created to look at the options.
The MDG will have an independent chairman, and will be made up of the harbour master, the harbours commercial director, up to three representatives for local boat owners and up to three others from the marine industry.
Senator Maclean told BBC Jersey: "We're putting in place a group that will draw on expertise.
"What we said right at the beginning was that 2010 was the year to listen - we wanted to hear the views of boat owners and others about potential opportunities for the redevelopment of those areas for the benefit of all.
"Although I'm not a boater myself, I do understand the traditions of boating in the island, but equally we do want to look at the commercial opportunities of helping to develop the marine leisure industry."
The St Helier Boat Owners Association has welcomed the decision to suspend the plans.
Association chairman Mike Stevens said: "The whole concept is on hold, which I am certain all our members will be very appreciative of.
"We're not out of the woods - it's not to say the Old Harbour will not be flooded, but there is the opportunity for meaningful discussions and to sit round the table and look at the options."
He added it was not completely against the project.
"The principle of creating more marina berths we support 100% and we support the growth of the marine industry," he said. (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down