www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreign cattle on the way?

4 posters

Go down

Foreign cattle on the way? Empty Foreign cattle on the way?

Post by GD Fri 11 Apr 2008, 6:44 pm

DIFFERENT breeds of cow could soon be seen in Jersey's fields for the first time in Island history.

If a draft bull semen importation law goes through the States next month, the door will be open to breeders to cross Jersey cows with UK beef cattle.

At the moment, the only cows allowed to be reared for meat on the Island are Jersey dairy cows, which are much smaller than beef cattle.

But orders for semen have already been placed in anticipation of the law being passed, which means that farmers would be able to inseminate Jersey cows with semen from bulls such as Aberdeen Angus, Belgian Blue and Charolais as early as this summer.

But Royal Jersey Agricultural & Horticultural Society chief executive James Godfrey said that imported semen for beef stock posed no threat to the pedigree of the dairy herds in Jersey.

A further demise of Jersey History?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Foreign cattle on the way? Empty Re: Foreign cattle on the way?

Post by ploughman Fri 11 Apr 2008, 7:08 pm

I don't think so, as they are beef crosses, they cannot affect the purity of the jersey breed, they are grown for beef and cannot be bred from.
Guernsey have been doing this for years, as is visible around the islands fields, originally charolais were crossed with guernseys, and in these later years, we have had, herefords, aberdeen angus, and belgian blue semen imported to allow cross breeding.
I think i am correct in saying any bull calves born must be castrated to prevent accidental breeding, and no heifers are allowed to be bred.
ploughman
ploughman

Male
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Mon 14 Apr 2008, 9:57 am

its all a load of bull if you ask me, the days of staying loyal to the Jersey breed are over , the farming industry needs everything to keep it alive and if this help's great.
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by David Rotherham Mon 14 Apr 2008, 4:14 pm

Is it, though? Jersey cattle, being a small, slim breed, don't have a great quantity of meat on them, but the quality is a different league to the mass-market breeds. I miss the days when it was widely available.

David Rotherham

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Tue 15 Apr 2008, 2:08 pm

David Rotherham wrote:Is it, though? Jersey cattle, being a small, slim breed, don't have a great quantity of meat on them, but the quality is a different league to the mass-market breeds. I miss the days when it was widely available.

The trouble is the "Experts" tell us that Full cream milk, Butter,etc is wrong for you so what chance does the Jersey cow have, it technically has all the wrong things, so The farmers cannot sell and make profits from that perticular breed,

It will become the "Pet" of the Farmer I am afraid and not a profit making item
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum