www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Guernsey French welcome to the parish

+2
boatyboy
GD
6 posters

Go down

A Guernsey French welcome to the parish Empty A Guernsey French welcome to the parish

Post by GD Fri 05 Mar 2010, 1:33 pm

A Guernsey French welcome to the parish _47409799_bianvnussign The signs will welcome people to the parish and feature their crest

A plan was unveiled in 2010 to place signs at the entrances to Guernsey's parishes in Guernsey French.
Jan Marquis, the States language development officer said: "I thought it would be a good way to make Dgernesiais more visible."
The plan is to have two signs per parish, but, he admitted some parishes have been more positive than others.
The first one is being installed at the entrance to St Martin's along the Forest Road.
Jan explained: "I contacted the Douzaines of the parishes and offered to fund two signs on the main entrances to the parishes... I'm hoping once we see some appearing some of the more reluctant parishes will come on board."
Jan said that signs like these "had proved very successful in other languages" and it is part of his initiative "to turn what is an invisible language into a visible one".
He hoped that the St Martin's sign would be followed by others around the island including bilingual welcome signs at the harbour and airport.
Jan said: "I'm trying to encourage people to embrace this part of their culture and heritage." (from BBC)

What do you think of the plan to place Guernsey French signs around the island?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

A Guernsey French welcome to the parish Empty Re: A Guernsey French welcome to the parish

Post by boatyboy Fri 05 Mar 2010, 1:50 pm

Jan Marquis, the States language development officer to fund two signs for each parish.

Thats means you the taxpayer, unless Jan is paying out of her own wages.

As much as we all enjoy our old family ties, giving us a sense of belonging, it is ridiculous to waste money on firstly a language officer ( at least teachers in schools educate for the future ) and secondly this old rarely used language as a hobby for those who wish to speak in a minority tongue no problem, but forcing it upon the modern day Guernsey people and children, and then charging them out of taxes is nonjobs work.

Last words to quote the officer, to turn what is an invisible language into a visible one. That will help the job application visible but not understood by the boss or hardly anyone else. Another nice but not needed waste of money.
Boatyboy.

Last edited by boatyboy on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

boatyboy

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

A Guernsey French welcome to the parish Empty Re: A Guernsey French welcome to the parish

Post by Digger Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:53 pm

The tourists can't even pronounce the ones we have now ......... A Guernsey French welcome to the parish Lol
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Fri 05 Mar 2010, 5:08 pm

As boatyboy says these "added value" jobs should be the first to go if we are in the dire financial straights that the States tell us we are!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 05 Mar 2010, 5:31 pm

Jan Marquis is doing what he is mandated to do in his role. I think that he is trying really hard to undertake the role that he is paid by the States to undertake. He appears every weekend, on a Saturday lunchtime I think, on Island FM, and in the Guernsey Press once a week and provides phrases of the week, as well as giving lessons to school children.

Personally, I think it adds the 'something unique and different' about Guernsey that sets us apart from any old town in the UK.

Yes there will have been some cost, but in the scheme of things relatively minor I would suggest, and as a taxpayer I am content that this money has been spent to provide something unique for Guernsey as a mark of our heritage.

This is my view and I accept that others will/may have a different stance, that is what makes us all different!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 05 Mar 2010, 5:32 pm

And no... I am not related to Jan or have even met him!! A Guernsey French welcome to the parish 58113

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 05 Mar 2010, 7:26 pm

Not quite unique, most Welsh towns have multi-lingual signs all over the place.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum