www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accident investigation into runway debris

2 posters

Go down

Accident investigation into runway debris Empty Accident investigation into runway debris

Post by GD Mon 08 Mar 2010, 7:19 pm

A major investigation's underway after large parts of a plane fell onto Jersey Airport's runway.

No passengers were onboard the Flybe jet when the incident took place.

But according to officials at least three other planes used the runway before the debris was cleared.

One politician now wants to know why it went undetected for more than an hour, and why it's taken nearly two weeks for it to come to light.

Late this afternoon the Assistant Economic Development Minister, Senator Paul Routier, issued this statement:

“I can confirm that during a routine runway surface inspection at Jersey Airport on the evening of Tuesday 23 February 2010, pieces of debris were found on the runway and adjoining grass area. The debris was soon identified as an engine cowling from a Flybe Embraer 195 aircraft, which had recently left Jersey and was being flown to Birmingham. Other than the air crew, there were no other passengers onboard.

In line with standard procedures, the runway was immediately closed whilst the debris was removed and subsequently swept. The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) was informed soon after and the incident is now the subject of an investigation by them. I therefore, can not nor do I wish to speculate on the incident until the full results and any subsequent recommendations are known.

In the meantime, a full investigation was carried out by Jersey Airport in accordance with our Safety Management System, which found that all procedures in place were correctly carried out. This was confirmed by the Accident Investigation Branch who has stated that no further action is required of Jersey Airport at this time.

I would also like to clarify that contrary to some reports, Jersey Airport has not attempted to ‘sweep this incident under the carpet’. The safety of passengers and aircraft using our facilities are of the utmost importance to us, which is why we have stringent safety measures to monitor such incidents.

Like other interested parties, Jersey Airport waits with interest the eventual findings of the Air Accident Investigation Branch. So as not to jeopardise or sway any investigation currently taking place Jersey Airport will not be making any further comment at this time”. (from CTV)

Somebody head should roll for this error, it could have turned into a tragic accident...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Accident investigation into runway debris Empty Re: Accident investigation into runway debris

Post by Digger Mon 08 Mar 2010, 9:14 pm

I find this very disturbing.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum