www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents told to take ‘more active role’

3 posters

Go down

Parents told to take ‘more active role’ Empty Parents told to take ‘more active role’

Post by GD Sat 10 Apr 2010, 6:10 pm

Parents told to take ‘more active role’ 00930749_Cropped

Monsignor Nicholas France, who is the subject of the Saturday Interview in today's Jersey Evening Post

PARENTS in Jersey need to wake up and start taking responsibility for their children’s future, the Island’s Catholic Dean has said.
In an age where binge-drinking, sexual promiscuity and violence are rife among teenagers, Monsignor Nicholas France said that parents need to be taking a more active role in their children’s lives and setting a better example.
His comments come after just one parent turned up to an open evening to learn more about a theatre production which was visiting secondary schools warning teenagers about the dangers of binge-drinking.

It seems some parents don't give a damn about what their children get up to...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Parents told to take ‘more active role’ Empty Re: Parents told to take ‘more active role’

Post by karma Sat 10 Apr 2010, 11:19 pm

Until the 'onus' is given back to the parents - along with the right to punish as they feel fit - total disinterest will reign - simply because parents cannot do right for doing wrong......it's unfortunate but if parents cannot have control of their kid's upbringing then the state must take responsibility!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Parents told to take ‘more active role’ Empty Re: Parents told to take ‘more active role’

Post by plimmerton811 Sun 11 Apr 2010, 9:17 pm

Karma, Totally disgree with you on this one. The state makes rules and reg's but a good parent will still discipline as they see fit, a good parent will still take an interest.

Using the state as an excuse to relinquish responsibility is a poor excuse and in my opinion a cop out. If a parent wants the state to have control of their kids then they should put them into care or better yet, don't have any, because if they are disinterested then they are not fit to be a parent.

Disinterest and poor parental control comes from a poorly educated (and I mean educated in parenting not intelligence, so it can effect any adult) adult who knows very little in how to be a parent and is focussed on other issues be it work or the pub.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 11 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm

I agree with you - but who is born knowing how to be a parent?

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 12 Apr 2010, 12:52 am

Who is born knowing how to be a shop assistant, a banker, a fireman, etc, etc.

You learn and the successful ones are those that show interest in their job and take the role responsibly. How did you learn? Did you take an interest? Did you take the role of a parent seriously enough to care?

If yes to all three then why can't others and Karma, your a Granny so you know the answer and you know exactly where I am coming from.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum