www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash

2 posters

Go down

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash Empty Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash

Post by GD Thu 15 Apr 2010, 6:17 pm

Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg are just hours away from making political history by taking part in the UK's first prime ministerial TV debate.
The party leaders have been rehearsing intensively for the 90-minute US-style live broadcast, in which every word and gesture will be analysed.
They will answer questions chosen by the audience and from viewers' e-mails.
ITV1 will broadcast the show from 2030 BST in Manchester. Sky and the BBC will host debates on successive Thursdays.
In other election news on Thursday:

The first of the three clashes will focus on domestic affairs, but leaders can air other issues.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson has visited the set of the prime ministerial debate and says the most striking thing was how close the three men would be standing to each other.
He said David Cameron and Gordon Brown were literally within touching distance, meaning if one of them wanted to turn to address the other, they would have to invade some personal space.
Meanwhile, BBC News Channel chief political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg said Mr Clegg's team faced a dilemma about whether he should join in or stand aside if Mr Brown and Mr Cameron lock horns.
Mr Brown's team's main worry was whether the prime minister - who prides himself on his mastery of policy detail - will be able to give punchy answers within the time limit given to leaders. The Conservatives' main worry is that Mr Cameron, who is ahead in the polls, has the most to lose.
Out campaigning in the marginal seat of Bolton West Mr Brown said he was "looking forward to it". Asked if he was feeling nervous, he said: "I don't think anybody goes into something new without feeling something about what's going to happen.
"But equally it's a chance to talk directly to the country. I was looking for this chance to talk directly to the people of this country and that's what I'm going to do."
'Historic first'
Labour's election strategist Lord Mandelson tells reporters that the prime minister "does not show fear" and regards the debates as "just one more thing he has got to get right." He said Mr Brown was "more PM than PR. He's got to be himself. He's not package-able, he's not an actor, he's going to have to be himself for better or for worse".
Conservative leader David Cameron, who has been out with his wife Samantha campaigning in Halifax, West Yorkshire, said he was taking it "easy-ish" ahead of the debate. He said his main worries were "about not getting it right, about not getting the point across you want to make, those sorts of things.

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash OFULL GUIDE TO TV DEBATES
Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash _47648601_stands22670_pa
Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash Inline_dashed_line

Poll watch: Will debates matter?
Q&A: The TV debate rules
A knock-out competition?
How leaders trained for it
Analysis: Seven things to watch
Debate lessons from Australia
The 46-year wait for clash

"But above all, I am looking forward to it because it is a great opportunity. Normally you have to deal with the 30-second sound bite on the news and all politicians, I think, feel frustrated that we can't talk directly to the public about the problems the country has and what we would do to solve them."
He said it should not been seen as a fight, with leaders trying to land knockout blows: "The metaphors of boxing and bouts is wrong. If that's what it's about it will, I do not think, be the right thing.
"What it should be about is trying to explain how we get out of the hole we are in."
Mr Clegg, who was campaigning in Manchester city centre on Thursday, said he had just been to see the set and was "looking forward to it".
"The nerves are there," he told reporters.
"I just want to be myself, answer the questions and probably most difficult of all - given all the hype - just enjoy it."
"I just really hope - that was the whole point of this - it wasn't for one politician to score a better point off another, it was to give people a sense about what the leaders are like and therefore give them more reason to go out and vote."
'False choice'
The Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru will not take part in the debate, although the BBC is to hold separate leaders debates in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
SNP leader and Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond told the BBC: "I think it's outrageous that the national parties of Scotland and Wales... have been excluded from these debates by stipulations laid down by the three large parties and followed meekly by the broadcasters."
He said the debate would actually be about "English domestic policies" - as powers on issues like health had been devolved to the Scottish Parliament: "There are actually four countries in the United Kingdom not one - and the other three countries feel a bit miffed about this."

And Plaid Cymru's leader Ieuan Wyn Jones told the BBC many issues that would be debated had been devolved to Scotland and Wales.
"It doesn't reflect well on the broadcasters that they haven't recognised that the politics of the United Kingdom is now entirely different to how it was 10 years ago with devolution," he said.
"It is a false choice people are being given, in Wales this is being broadcast as though the only options is Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrats - in Wales it is a four-party system."

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash OElection TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash _47648383_nickrobinsonimage5555

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash Start_quote_rb The nation's verdict will come not from the pundits and the commentators, but in the days to come Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash End_quote_rb

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash Inline_dashed_line

Read Nick Robinson's blog
Will you be watching?

The debates are bound by more than 70 rules agreed after weeks of negotiations between the parties and the broadcasters.
Before the questions begin, the leaders will be allowed to make a one-minute opening address, and a 90-second closing statement at the end of the show.
The audience will be asked to applaud at the start and end of the programmes, and will not be able to respond to leaders' answers, not ask questions directly - they will be put to the leaders by the presenter.
Most of the 200-strong audience in each debate will be picked by pollsters ICM from the local area to ensure a balance of gender, age, ethnicity, social class and voting intention.
Sky News will be showing the second debate on Thursday, 22 April, which will look at foreign affairs. The final debate on BBC One on Thursday, 29 April will focus on the economy.
The First Election Debate programme will be shown on ITV1 on Thursday, 15 April, starting at 2030 BST. In Scotland it will be shown on STV, and on UTV in Northern Ireland. You can listen to it live on BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5 Live (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash Empty Re: Election TV debate: Leaders prepare for historic clash

Post by bug1 Thu 15 Apr 2010, 8:42 pm

I can't wait-----to switch over that is!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down