www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey's Goods and Services Tax could rise to 5%

Go down

Jersey's Goods and Services Tax could rise to 5% Empty Jersey's Goods and Services Tax could rise to 5%

Post by GD Mon 21 Jun 2010, 1:05 pm

Jersey's Goods and Services Tax could rise to 5% _48128882_cashcu Income tax could also be raised for high earners under the proposals

Plans unveiled by the treasury minister to improve Jersey's finances included upping Goods and Services Tax (GST).
The government has suggested increasing the revenue, introduced in 2008, from 3% to 5% in order to raise £30m a year.
The Comptroller and Auditor General said if spending continues at the current rate Jersey will have a £100m deficit in the next three years.
The GST rise is included in a public document of suggestions to tackle the deficit by the treasury department.
The Treasury Minister, Senator Philip Ozouf, said: "This is a genuine consultation, in the event of having to increase taxes, what is the preferred solution? What is the least preferred solution? What is the least worst option?"
Other proposals in the consultation include raising social security contributions, raising property rates and raising income tax to 30% for people who earn more than £100,000 a year.
Senator Ozouf said: "This is something which goes against the grain of Jersey men and women and has done for decades and I certainly don't like the move away from a standard rate of tax.
"I think it's been a symbol of certainty and a symbol of stability.
"I would also say that I think it's going to be very difficult to conceive of a situation were we would introduce a high rate of tax and lift the cap on social security - that would be hitting higher earners twice." (from BBC)

Easy way for the goverment to get money from the punters...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down