www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation

+2
plimmerton811
GD
6 posters

Go down

Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation Empty Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation

Post by GD Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

Islanders are being consulted on the age people in Guernsey should be able to ride a motorbike.

People can currently ride a motorbike from the age of 14, but there have been calls to change vehicle licensing laws and raise the age.

Concern has also been shown at the number of motorcyclists in the island riding with learner plates.

Islanders are able to submit their views on motorbikes to the States of Guernsey before 31 October. (from BBC)

So what do you think should the riding age be changed?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation Empty Re: Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation

Post by plimmerton811 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:10 pm

Leave it as it is. Just tighten up on L plate issue and police heavier. For instance if you see a kid two up on a 100cc m/c the chances are they are two up illegally, which may incur some TPIns infractions and there is a good chance that the driver is a learner.
Cops need to get cute.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation Empty Re: Islanders asked to comment on motorcycle consultation

Post by cockney Mon 20 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm

Twentyone, when they should be ready to drive/ride in a mature fashion.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Tue 21 Sep 2010, 7:12 am

Most parents would have a view on that cockney, the 'mum taxi' & 'dad taxi' does wear a bit thin after many years!

It can also be argued that providing independence to our youngsters and learning road sense at an early stage helps them in later years. There will always be the few that ruin it for the majority, as with a lot of other things in life, but they should not be allowed to ruin it for everyone. Let the police pick them up and the Courts deal with them!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 21 Sep 2010, 7:49 am

Dell wrote:Most parents would have a view on that cockney, the 'mum taxi' & 'dad taxi' does wear a bit thin after many years!

It can also be argued that providing independence to our youngsters and learning road sense at an early stage helps them in later years. There will always be the few that ruin it for the majority, as with a lot of other things in life, but they should not be allowed to ruin it for everyone. Let the police pick them up and the Courts deal with them!

Have to agree with Dell, my lad learned to ride at 14, in my case it helped big time, as I was the only driver and working both daytime and evenings it was very difficult for me to be the "taxi"

I think it helped him immensely with learning road sense, which he certainly would of not gained riding just a push bike,

Plus he got out the house going to events/sports and meeting more people than he would of done had he not been able to ride his scooter

As Dell says let the law deal with any incidents caused by bad riders, which can occur at any age....

bump1
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:14 am

they do need to tighten upon the learner plate problem...it seems kids can ride around on l plates for what seems like years.maybe the age should be put up to 16 .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 21 Sep 2010, 9:35 am

I comment on this many years ago when my daughter first got her bike at 14 .i was horrified to see after passing her test on a scooter she could get a geared bike to ride and not have any other test.
thankfully they changed the law
this year my eldest grandchild will be on the roads on a motor bike ..this is very worrying .
i also now think the age should be higher for all licences even for a car ,these should start for bikes at 16 .having seen the 14year old spinning in groups around the island they are certainly not responsible enough to sit on a machine that if misused can lead to death of themselves or someone else it is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down