www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer

4 posters

Go down

VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer Empty VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer

Post by GD Tue 21 Dec 2010, 3:33 pm

VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer 1071371_175NEW notices in Guernsey Post branches will help prevent customers being hit by surprise charges when sending gifts to the UK.
Supply teacher Chris Le Page (pictured) was shocked that two boxes of gifts he had sent to family in the UK were charged VAT and a customer clearance fee of £8 because they were worth more than £40.
But what really annoyed him was that at the time of sending, nobody had told him that would happen.
‘There was nothing at the post office to tell me parcels over £40 would be charged,’ he said. ‘If I had known I would have split the presents up into two parcels and saved myself £20 for each one.’(from GEP)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer Empty Re: VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer

Post by Dell Tue 21 Dec 2010, 5:38 pm

Stealth taxation......

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer Empty Re: VAT shock makes Chris’s Christmas £40+ dearer

Post by Thistle Tue 21 Dec 2010, 6:53 pm

i was caught out with this one severalyears ago when my old mum was threatened with having to pay VAT ..i phoned the number she gave me and they actually waived the charge x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Mon 27 Dec 2010, 8:49 pm

Import VAT is nothing new but they do seem to enforcing the import VAT with some renewed vigor (pressure from the UK maybe?).Bets are more people will start declaring the value of the goods below the £40 threshold even if they do cost more.You would lose out if you had to make a claim for lost or damaged items or customs do a spot check and conclude you have made a false declaration.
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum