www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them

3 posters

Go down

Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them Empty Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them

Post by GD Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:26 pm

Some St Peter Port traders have expressed concerns the new Leale's Yard development at St Sampsons will adversly affect town.

But estate agents in Guernsey say demand for shops in St Peter Port has picked up recently.

The news that the Co-op has permission to turn the dilapidated site into modern retail space and housing will mean a make-over for the area.

The hope is that major retailers will want to move in - giving islanders more shopping options.

There is no doubt that the Bridge could do with some improvements. The uncertainty over Leale's Yard has led to the area becoming quite run-down. Charities have moved into many of the empty shops - and if it is going to become a second shopping hub for the island it is going to need a major facelift.

But here in town not everything is rosy either. Most of the old Gabriel's shops lining Fountain Street have been empty since 2007 and they are not the only ones. So shopkeepers here are worried more competition in St Sampsons will not be good for St Peter Port.

With detailed plans yet to be released, experts say it is hard to judge exactly what impact the Leale's Yard development will have. But estate agent Jonathan Harris says he is fairly optimistic about the retail sector generally, and there was a marked upturn last year in demand for boutique sized shops.

Jonathan Harris from Swoffers Estate Agents said: "Retail is, I think, having a resurgence and one would hope that our High Street remains full, as it is now. There's a handful of shops that are available, some of those are already under offer and hopefully retail will survive as it has done for many years." (from CTV)

The new Leale's yard will finish the small town shop owner...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them Empty Re: Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them

Post by kat Sat 26 Feb 2011, 3:10 pm

they ned to do something to attracted folks into town to shop ,other wise shopping will all be done onto the internet
i cant see how a small island is going to support the new shops .they need to relook at this and just have a good co op there with all the departments in one
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them Empty Re: Guernsey shops worried Leale's Yard will affect them

Post by Thistle Sun 27 Feb 2011, 8:41 am

we need new shops ..town is overrun by creasys and its franchises.the bridge needs new life breathing into it ..i shop on the internet now because the shops in town are so expensive and we have no choice x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down