www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets

4 posters

Go down

Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets Empty Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets

Post by GD Wed 09 Mar 2011, 11:20 am

Proposals to force tobacco companies to sell cigarettes in plain, unbranded packaging are expected to be unveiled by the government.

Under the guidelines, packets would lose their logos, graphics and distinctive colours, leaving health warnings as the most noticeable marking.

The move would make England the first country in Europe to have plain packaging. Ministers hope it would make cigarettes less alluring to the estimated 200,000 teenagers who take up smoking each year.

The health secretary, Andrew Lansley, is expected to publish the plan to coincide with national No Smoking Day on Wednesday.
The government is also believed to be considering a ban on displaying cigarettes in shops, despite fears that newsagents and convenience stores would face significant extra costs if restrictions on cigarette sales were imposed.
Both steps have been under discussion for several years, with legislation to ban the display of tobacco products put in place by the previous Labour government.
Canada, Ireland, Iceland and Finland have introduced similar bans. If approved, it is expected to be implemented in England over the next two years.
A consultation is expected to take place before a final decision is taken on overhauling packaging laws..
A Conservative backbencher, Philip Davies, has described the plans as "gesture politics of the worst kind", claiming their enforcement would be a "triumph for the nanny state".
Big Brother Watch, a civil liberties campaign group, also criticised the plans.
"Not content with increasing taxes on tobacco to sky-high levels, it appears the health secretary now wants to go one step further and impose plain packaging on tobacco products," a spokesman said.
"This would be just the latest move by the government to demonise smokers, a group of people who voluntarily choose to consume a perfectly legal product.
"The government likes to talk about freedom – how about respecting the rights of smokers? Under Andrew Lansley, the nanny state is alive and well."
Lansley said in parliament on Tuesday that the government was committed to securing a further reduction in the number of people smoking and, as a consequence, a reduction of avoidable deaths and disease. (from Guardian)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets Empty Re: Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets

Post by Thistle Wed 09 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

it wont make a bit of difference if people want to smoke they will.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets Empty Re: Cigarettes may be sold in plain packets

Post by kat Wed 09 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm

I was surprised at how much smoking goes on with in the soap Coronation street .they are always lighting up and the new cabin had ciggies on show behind the counter in some scenes
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 09 Mar 2011, 1:57 pm

Also the residents spend most of their time/money in the pub!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed 09 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

LOl yes the do Karma and in one "soap"no one can afford a washing machine ,but can go to the pub at every opportunity or eat in the cafe
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum