www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alderney States President to step down

Go down

Alderney States President to step down Empty Alderney States President to step down

Post by GD Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:12 pm

Alderney's States President Sir Norman Browse is to stand down.

The 79-year-old will announce his retirement date in May and it is expected there will be a presidential election this summer.

Writing in his quarterly newsletter, Sir Norman said it had been a privilege to serve Alderney.

He said: "The last 10 years have flown by. I have enjoyed being at the centre of the island’s government. It has been a privilege to know what is going on, to experience the difficulties your States members have to meet and resolve, and appreciate their hard work."

Sir Norman courted controversy last year when he forced through smoking ban legislation. The former surgeon used his casting vote after the States had been tied five-all after the debate.

He was also criticised after ejecting member Peter Allen from a meeting last year. Mr Allen was given his marching orders after speaking out during a report about the New Connaught Care Home.

Sir Norman, a former President of the Royal College of Surgeons, was elected as Alderney States President in 2002.

He outlined what type of person islanders should look to elect.

He said: "The President should have a good knowledge and understanding of the island’s people and its history, be well-informed of the different arguments that generate States members’ and States Committees’ opinions and decisions and, as far as possible, be able to represent the electorate’s view."

He went on to say the President should be ‘politically negative’.

He said: "The President should, whenever possible, be politically negative. Only under exceptional circumstances – the casting vote – may the President exercise political judgement and even then he or she can always abstain and so refer the matter back for further debate unless such a decision would cause unnecessary or disabling stagnation.

"On the few occasions I have used my casting vote on a political matter – having heard the various arguments in the committees – I knew that abstention and further debate would not have helped progress.

Sir Norman said money from Alderney’s e-gambling industry had helped pay for major projects such as the commercial quay. He also said residents should realise that Guernsey had contributed plenty to the island coffers.

He said: "There is no doubt that two very expensive projects – the renovation of the hospital and commercial quay – would not have happened without the support of the States of Guernsey. Yes, of course we contribute through our taxes but, even without seeing the Bailiwick’s detailed subdivided tax accounts, it must be obvious to all that we have received at least - probably more of - our fair share of the Bailiwick’s income tax revenue."

(from CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down