www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40 marathons in 40 days

2 posters

Go down

40 marathons in 40 days Empty 40 marathons in 40 days

Post by GD Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:17 pm

A Guernseyman is aiming to raise £1 million for charity by running 40 marathons in 40 days.

64-year-old Stuart Hardie reaches retirement age in July, but he is not planning to wind down. In September he will atempt to run all the way from John O'Groats in Scotland to Land's End in Cornwall to raise money for children's rugby charity Wooden Spoon and prostate cancer research.

Long-distance running can be lonely, but not in Stuart's case. He has a back-up team which will include a nutritionist, a fitness instructor and a sports massage therapist. Even so, he is expecting the attempt to be difficult.

He said: "The lonely days are the ones I envisage being toughest. What we're trying to do is get Wooden Spoon regions and rugby clubs, whom we pass on the way south, to come running with me. There are two things about that - one is the money and two is the commitment for the following day."

Like most great men, Stuart has great women behind him. Apart from his supportive wife, adventurer Rosie Swale-Pope is his mentor for the challenge. In 2003 she left the UK to run the whole way around the world. It took her five years - accompanied only by the support cart she pulled behind her. During that time Rosie also ran twenty seven marathons in twenty seven days, so she's well placed to offer him some advice.

She said: "I think his friends will see him through because it's going to be a mental thing, it's going to be very, very hard and painful. He deserves the sponsorship because there's no days off, there's no space for anything going wrong. The main thing is look after himself like a baby, watch any minor niggle. But I know he's very well set-up, he's got a nutritionist, he's got a physiotherapist, and a great team of friends and family."

Rosie is planning to join Stuart for his last marathon to Land's End. By that time Stuart is hoping he will have raised a million pounds.

(from CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

40 marathons in 40 days Empty Re: 40 marathons in 40 days

Post by Dell Fri 08 Apr 2011, 7:43 am