www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem'

5 posters

Go down

Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem' Empty Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem'

Post by GD Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

The Junior Constable of St Peter Port has said that rubbish has become an increasing problem in the town.

Dennis Le Moignan is backing calls for more to be done to combat the problem in Guernsey.

Fly-tipping and casual dropping of rubbish have been identified as being a particular problem in the town centre.

The General Manager of States works, Nigel Dorey, said a prosecution for littering would send the right message to the public.

Mr Dorey said litter was a considerable challenge across the island and thinks a prosecution for a littering offence would be the first of its kind in Guernsey.

He explained that takeaway containers and cigarette butts cause a huge problem for States Works.

Rubbish over road

He said: "Island-wide, the collection of refuse is also causing issues, especially if the bags are put out too early.

"Seagulls and animals come along and pick away at the bags and you end up with rubbish all over the road."

Guernsey's crime reduction adviser Andy Goodall said there had to be a sufficient body of evidence to secure a prosecution.

He said: "Quite often it's one person's word against another's. If we have the evidence, a file will be submitted for consideration of prosecution."

Mr Le Moignan said plans were in motion for the first prosecution for littering offences.

He told the BBC: "We've got a beautiful island and visitors walking along and what on earth do they think? It looks as though we don't care.

"We do - we do our job in collecting it and we have the States Works coming everyday, and it costs money
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem' Empty Re: Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem'

Post by kat Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

We have been saying this for year action speak louder that works
to employ a litter warden in each parish ans the fines go into parish funds would be worth looking into ,one that i will be putting forwards as i am sick of the folks who don't care a stuff .it has also been passed down to their children now as i see more and more children unwrapping their sweets and throwing the litter onto the roads.
last year after a year work of preparing the parish for florla guernsey ,and cleaning our route an hour before we lost valuable points on ciggi ends at the bus stops in north plantation. .we were disgusted and so upset that a few thoughtless morons can ruin all our hard work.
the deputy that brings in a litter warden will get my vote next time around
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem' Empty Re: Guernsey's St Peter Port has 'litter problem'

Post by Thistle Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

have been complaining about the filthy streets in st peter port for ages now..the guys who clean the streets walk over the rubbish rather than pick it up...i have also been saying fine people for dropping litter..think its £50 on the spot fine in edinburgh.....parents also need to teach kids not to drop litter.the following story shows how much could be put into the parish coffers from on the spot fines

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/paisley-news/2011/04/14/renfrewshire-wardens-raise-almost-40-000-in-on-the-spot-fines-in-a-year-87085-28515679/
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:02 pm

good idea thistle send this to some deputies and see who will take this forwards
we are still fighting in our corner here as no one want to be bothered with it
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:52 pm

An oil tank has been fly tipped on Vazon common in the last few days and a load of old pvc windows over the cliffs at Les Tielles. Not just a town problem.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

IMO it's a lack of basic home education involving amongst other things respect for other people!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum