www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call for Guernsey to change worship policy

3 posters

Go down

Call for Guernsey to change worship policy Empty Call for Guernsey to change worship policy

Post by GD Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

A Guernsey Baptist minister has called for the island's school worship policy to be brought in line with English law.

Guernsey law requires school worship to be collective and not distinctive of any particular denomination.

In England the law requires compulsory daily worship of a broadly Christian nature in schools.

The Reverend Billy Gilvear, from Shiloh Church, in the Vale, said: "It would work and be a lot easier... however, I say that specifically for Guernsey."

He said: "Even the collective policy is not implemented, the truth is that in schools today on this island there's not many assemblies and moments for reflection in the morning or anything being done at all."
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

What the policy tries to do is find a middle ground and with religion that's never an easy thing to do”
Reverand Graham Beebee
St Andrew's in the Grange

Mr Gilvear said if there was a focus on one religion it should be Christian as the majority of places of worship on this island were Christian.

The Reverend Graeme Beebee, from the Church of Scotland St Andrew's in the Grange, is a member of the Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education, which monitors and reviews the delivery of all aspects of religious education within the island's schools

He said: "I think the policy is maybe the best we can do, it's a compromise, but any policy around this is going to be a compromise unless you say it's got to be all one religion or all one view or not religion.

"I certainly wouldn't ever want a situation where it was no religion.

"What the policy tries to do is find a middle ground and with religion that's never an easy thing to do." (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Call for Guernsey to change worship policy Empty Re: Call for Guernsey to change worship policy

Post by Thistle Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:05 am

true to say guernsey is a christian island..now we have so many people of different faiths being allowed to come and work in the island i think schools have to allow the children to worship in their own way...
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Call for Guernsey to change worship policy Empty Re: Call for Guernsey to change worship policy

Post by kat Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

this is a very difficult situation
we are a Christian island and should keep it like that
in England they have many different worships .do we need to go down that road or do we say
you are in Guernsey we are a Christian island like it or leave?
would a muslin country put a Christian church there for folks to worship if they moved there
we must keep our tradition other wise it will be lost and the fight will begin
But it will be taught in school of other religions as we can understand other countries and respect what they worship .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum