www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey school admission "a nonsense"

Go down

Guernsey school admission "a nonsense" Empty Guernsey school admission "a nonsense"

Post by GD Wed 03 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

There is a call for a complete review of Guernsey's schools admission policy.

It comes at the start of a rarely-held Review Board hearing into one parent's fight to get his son admitted to one of the island's two Roman Catholic primary schools, Notre Dame school.

The board this morning decided to hold the meeting in private, preventing the public and media from knowing what is being said.

That has prompted Deputy John Gollop from St Peter Port North, to describe the way appeals are held as "a nonsense".

Guernsey operates a straight-forward catchment area policy. In effect, where you live determines which school your child goes to. But in addition to general States schools, the government also funds teaching posts at the island's two Roman Catholic schools. Now one influential politician says - in his view - it is time for some changes.

Deputy John Gollop said: "I believe those two schools should be allowed an open door recruitment policy and that you need people of all faiths to allow diversity in those schools rather than what might be perceived as elitist religious dogmatism. I also believe that the Education Department need to have a more open policy as to their criteria for admissions and frankly should allow a greater freedom of parental choice."

The Education Department issued a statement to say that the school's admission policy was fully debated last year and they are satisfied it is appropriate. They say the catchment system is transparent, easy to understand and cost effective. They add that their full policy is available on their website.
(from CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum