www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Guernsey Help Poor Countries?

5 posters

Go down

Can Guernsey Help Poor Countries? Empty Can Guernsey Help Poor Countries?

Post by Thistle Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:37 am

We're being asked how Guernsey can help poorer countries financially. The island's top Politicians want to help reduce the debts faced by other jurisdictions around the world - in particular by setting up rules to regulate bank accounts which can be used to collect external debts. Businesses, groups and individuals are being asked their opinions - you can have your say by going to the States website - that's gov.gg

what do you think ?
imo guernsey politicians should worry about islanders first..why should we be concerned about the debts of other countries..look what has happened with greece,portugal,southern ireland and other debt ridden countries asking the eu to bail them out ..could we really afford to help in these kind of circumstances .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Can Guernsey Help Poor Countries? Empty Re: Can Guernsey Help Poor Countries?

Post by kat Thu 18 Aug 2011, 8:35 am

All the world should help each other.i always think back tot he war years .if it was not to others sending our island foods all would have starved
we never know when we would be in a situation ourselves and ask for help from others ,
when you think we can lay cables all over the world travel to the moon and back .but cannot lay a pipe carrying essential water to these countries.i think we as a nation have our priories wrong
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

Good points by both Thistle and Kat which, by chance, demonstrate the differences in scenario.
During the war, Red Cross parcels were sent to the islanders themselves.
The current financial aid from various countries is intended to prop up governments.
There has to be a distinction between the two, regardless of the fact that statists believe that the citizen should be totally reliant on government.
Maybe the question should be split into two:
'Should Guernsey (directly) help the poor in other countries' and
'Should Guernsey give financial help to prop up failing economies'.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ted Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

Before we all slap each other on the back, say how well we are doing, and send money to other countries, let also realize there are people over here living in poverty. The press today highlights a widows chronic situation regarding benefits. There are some oap's living on or beneath the breadline. People who work 40+ hours a week, but their wages do not cover the cost of living. Yes help other countries but lets not be blinkered to the problems in our own Island.
ted
ted

Male
Number of posts : 124
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

You're absolutely right, Ted.
Regarding the Press article, I knew Carol and her late husband, Mick, quite well. My deepest condolences.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

yes i know food parcels were sent here during the war kat and islanders will be forever grateful..the prob is a lot of these poor countries have very very rich rulers who do nothing to help their own countrymen..they fly around in private jets ,huge yachts live in wonderful palaces and watch their people starve and go capin hand to other countries..what happened to alot of the food ,money etc collected by bob geldof in live aid ..it was left to rot and the money was spent by governments on boys toys ..i dont mind helping if people try to help themselves
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

My problem is that, as Thistle mentions, the rulers are not helping their own people. How do the rulers get rich? in many cases it is by syphoning off the aid/donations that we sent to help the poor people.

I don't mind my money helping Mustapha squatting on the corner of the street but I certainly do not want my money to find its way into an offshore bank account owned by Mugabe who is sat in a palace.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum