www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt

3 posters

Go down

Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt Empty Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt

Post by GD Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

A retired Guernsey surgeon has begun his attempt to become the oldest man to swim the English Channel.

Roger Allsopp, 70 last April, was forced to wait a week with weather conditions delaying his attempt several times.

He set off from Shakespeare Beach in Dover at 08:00 BST, having told the BBC any further delay would mean having to postpone the attempt for weeks.

The current world age record stands at 70 years and four days.

At 17:10 BST, it was reported Mr Allsopp had just passed the half-way point, and swimming conditions were good.

Mars Webb, Mr Allsopp's support team spokeswoman, said the delays had produced a strange quirk of timing.

She said: "It's five years ago today that he did his last record, so I think it's a perfect omen."

She also told BBC News that Mr Allsopp must swim back to his support boat at the end of his attempt for it to be declared an official record.

Mr Allsopp became the oldest Briton to achieve the feat in 2006, at the age of 65.

He has used his latest attempt to raise money for a cancer research team in Southampton.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt Empty Re: Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt

Post by Thistle Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

congratulations to the oldest channel swimmer in town xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt Empty Re: Guernsey swimmer begins English Channel record attempt

Post by kat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

Well done you are a star! it give old agers something to do in their spare time i suppose .but how many would even think of doing it. ..
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down