www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Postal workers refuse to deliver Bible recordings because the CDs are ‘offensive’

2 posters

Go down

Jersey Postal workers refuse to deliver Bible recordings because the CDs are ‘offensive’ Empty Jersey Postal workers refuse to deliver Bible recordings because the CDs are ‘offensive’

Post by Dell Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:30 am

Postal workers refused to deliver CDs of Bible readings after deciding they were ‘offensive material’.

Several churches had paid for discs with recordings of St Mark’s Gospel to be produced to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. They were due to be delivered to all households on the Channel Island of Jersey, but church leaders were stunned when they were told postal workers would not handle the 45,000 CDs.

Rev Liz Hunter of St Helier Methodist Centre said: ‘Initially Jersey Post seemed quite positive about helping us deliver the CDs.
‘But then a couple of weeks ago somebody from their marketing department phoned to say they would be unable to deliver them on the grounds that they could be deemed offensive.

‘They said there were guidelines about mass material that is sent out across the island and that religious recordings could offend people. 'This is not openly aggressive evangelism it was just a nice idea to give everyone a CD which they can chose to listen to if they wish.'

Church groups around the island united on the project, with the goal of delivering 45,000 recordings of St Mark's Gospel to every house in Jersey.

Reverend Hunter added: 'The impact has been somewhat lost now. 'We launched the Switch On scheme last Monday and we wanted every house to have their CD at the same time this week. 'Now we are relying on volunteers to drop them off to individual houses so it will probably take most of September.'

Jersey Post apologised for the incident, saying staff had misinterpreted guidelines. Chief Executive Kevin Keen, said: 'I understand that one of my colleagues did say the material was offensive. 'This decision was made on the basis of our terms and conditions which states that we have the right to refuse to distribute something that falls under the category of 'promotional material which could cause offence'.

'Clearly this was interpreted in the wrong way. I have spoken to the person involved and have written to all of my colleagues asking that they come to me if there is any doubt in their mind in the future.'

The CDs are now being delivered by volunteers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035760/Postal-workers-refuse-deliver-Bible-recordings-CDs-offensive.html#ixzz1XXJg2zWe
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Jersey Postal workers refuse to deliver Bible recordings because the CDs are ‘offensive’ Empty Re: Jersey Postal workers refuse to deliver Bible recordings because the CDs are ‘offensive’

Post by kat Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

So are income tax form offensives but they still deliver those .they should not dictate what they will deliver .
how much junk mail do we all get
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum