www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Education has failed

+2
Diddycoon
Dell
6 posters

Go down

Education has failed Empty Education has failed

Post by Dell Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

MULTIPLE failings in Education have been confirmed by an independent report released today.

Ordered on the back of stark revelations about falling GCSE standards at the island’s high schools, the Denis Mulkerrin review is a damning indictment of how the service is run.

It recommends wholesale changes in how schools are managed and condemns politicians and senior management for letting the situation develop.

Education has defended the service and its director over the years, but among failings identified are that a slow recruitment process means the best teachers are not employed, head teachers do not have enough control and that problems are covered up by a policy of not publishing full exam results or validation reports.

‘The poor GCSE results at La Mare de Carteret and St Sampson’s High Schools are a symptom of a larger problem in the management and structure of education in Guernsey,’ Mr Mulkerrin said in the report.

Click here to download the full report as a PDF.

From This is Guernsey.

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Education has failed Empty Re: Education has failed

Post by Diddycoon Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

I am pleased that I am not at school now - I would have been let down terribly -
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

Guernsey's Education Minister declares she will not stand for re-election in April.

Deputy Carol Steere says she wants no part in the backstabbing personality-led politics that is at the heart of the States of Guernsey.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

I wonder if there is any connection between these education results and the sudden rise in unemployment in the Island.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

GD wrote:Guernsey's Education Minister declares she will not stand for re-election in April.

Deputy Carol Steere says she wants no part in the backstabbing personality-led politics that is at the heart of the States of Guernsey.

Good riddance!
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 8:13 am

Believe me this does not stop at the school level it also effects the Cof FE where I know that in the past there has been poor practice and manipulation of statistics to make things look good.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 16 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

Deputy Carol Steere has resigned from Education...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm

not soon enough - I watched her interview on channel report tonight and she did not even apologize for the childrens education that has suffered - Be glad to see her go out of education and the states for good!
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:53 pm

A new chief officer has been appointed to Guernsey's Education Department.

Jon Buckland was appointed after the job was advertised internally, following Derek Neale's change of role to oversee the building of new schools.

Mr Buckland, who is the current chief officer of the Commerce and Employment Department, is due to take up the post on 1 February.

He said he was looking forward to the role and improving education service in response to the Mulkerrin Review.

The review was critical of the centralisation of power and lack of accountability in the department.

Mr Buckland said: "I am delighted to have been given the opportunity to lead the Education Department, and to work with teachers, head teachers, education professionals and, of course, children and parents across Guernsey and Alderney.

"While there is much for the education service to be proud of, there is also a great deal of work for us to do in ensuring that all of our children get the best possible education."
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 18 Jan 2012, 5:06 pm

Deputy Robert Sillars has confirmed he wants the job of Guernsey's education minister, following a resignation earlier this week.

Deputy Carol Steere resigned on Monday and suggested the Deputy Minister Tony Spruce take her position.

Deputy Sillars confirmed that he would be adding his name to the list of candidates for the role of minister.

He said: "I can make a difference ... it's absolutely vital that we get their [Guernsey children] education right."

Deputy Sillars said a recent report on the island's education system made it clear that change was needed.

The Mulkerrin Review was commissioned following the release of sub-standard GCSE results at some of the island's secondary schools.

It highlighted a number of problems with the education system.

Deputy Sillars said: "An awful lot of education is right, but it is a very key part that we can improve and can do better."

Deputy Education Minister Tony Spruce was unavailable for comment
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

Perhaps it would be best to go for Sillars, new broom and all that. At least he will not be saddled with any old ideas.

It uis not going to be an easy job correcting what is wrong however there is a report to follow which highlights what is wrong so follow that and surely if there is a will within Education at headmaster level then the report recommendations can be carried through.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

he wont get much done between now and april...
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 25 Jan 2012, 5:08 pm

Deputy Robert Sillars is the new Education minister with 26 votes (Langlois 13, Tasker 6).
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content