www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries

4 posters

Go down

Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries Empty Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries

Post by GD Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:16 pm

The island's last Saturday postal delivery will be on 24 March, Guernsey Post has announced.

It follows the reduction of the Universal Service Obligation, what postal deliveries have to be provided, from six days to five in October.

Chief executive Boley Smillie said nine jobs would be lost and the change would save about £400,000 a year.

He said the company had to adapt to changes in the postal environment caused by technological advances.

Mr Smillie said the savings and the job losses were part of a bigger programme "to protecting postal services into the future".

He said: "Over the last two years we've reduced our headcount by 44 full time equivalents.

"I wouldn't rule out further redundancies, but I certainly wouldn't expect them on the scale we've undergone.

"In total we've saved about £3m across the business over that period, particularly given the news on LVCR (Low Value Consignment Relief) we're going to need to work even harder to balance the books."

'Significant growth'

The move by the UK Government to end LVCR, VAT relief on items costing less than £15 sent to the UK from the Channel Islands, is due to come into effect in April, but faces a legal challenge from both the States of Guernsey and Jersey.

Mr Smillie said of the rise of internet shopping, social media and email: "On one hand our business has been eroded by the arrival of technology, but on the other hand most people are now ordering gifts and goods over the internet.

"We're seeing significant growth in packet and parcel delivery so our business is changing, less letters, more packets and parcels and we have to adapt with it.

"I expect over the course of the next year it'll be smaller changes and not only service reductions, but some improvements along the way."

Mr Smillie said these would include same day delivery within the Bailiwick and a Saturday packet and parcel delivery service, which he described as "a much smaller scale operation" that allowed "some continuation of service".

He said: "We face an environment where traditional [mail] volumes are declining, things have to change and I hope with this change we are meeting customer need."
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries Empty Re: Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries

Post by Thistle Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:01 am

less service and prob a huge rise in postal charges..it costs more to post a letter to a local address than it does to post a second class letter from the uk to guernsey ..
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries Empty Re: Guernsey Post to stop Saturday deliveries

Post by kingcolemk Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:55 am

About the only things most people post these days are cards, birthdays, xmas etc, all else being sent online. So less business means less economy of scale hence higher prices.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

Same Old, Same Old....if something is not profitable, put up the charges duh!!!!
How about putting the charges down and going into competition with the Courier Firms!!! Or is that too simple????

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 24 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

You ( and me ) would soon moan if they were allowed to operate at a loss and get bailed out by our taxes.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm

your taxes have nothing to do with guernsey post kingcolemk...
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 24 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

Not directly true, but as a regular visitor to the Island some of the money I spend there will find it's way into the States coffers along with your taxes. Wink

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down