www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Returning to the island...

Go down

Returning to the island... Empty Returning to the island...

Post by Paul_J Sat 14 Jun 2008, 8:05 am

I strongly believe Guernsey needs to encourage students to leave the island and study at University, and I think the introduction of student contributions/student loans is a Bad Thing.

Just picking up on one point...it's clearly important to the argument for supporting students that some students at least do return to the island to work - if the returning percentage is zero it's pretty difficult to make the case! However:

• The impression I get is that a pretty good proportion of students to return to Guernsey immediately after graduation, and that this number might have increased in recent years.
  • It's definitely the case that more return after working away for a few years - this is worth remembering...I also think these returnees bring some very useful additional benefits to the island in terms of experience of the broader working world.
  • I believe reasonable access to tertiary education is something of a
    human right, and if some students want to pursue their careers outside
    Guernsey I have no problem with it. It's worth noting in this context that Guernsey benefits enormously from imports (whether via marriage to local people or housing licences) to whose university education we did not contribute a penny. It has to be expected that not all locally supported students will return to work here...but this is the same for UK local authorities funding their students as it is for Guernsey, as it is for everywhere in these increasingly global times.

Paul_J

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum