www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

£1,600 for a mobile 21 years ago!

2 posters

Go down

£1,600 for a mobile 21 years ago! Empty £1,600 for a mobile 21 years ago!

Post by GD Fri 27 Jun 2008, 2:21 pm

It may seem difficult to believe but Islanders in Jersey have been using mobile phones for 21 years!

Over the years mobile phones have shrunk from a lunch box sized brick with accompanying battery pack, to a “must have” fashion accessory. Models like the Motorola V3 have become design icons and mobiles are often given as Christmas and birthday presents.

Jersey Telecom say thesedays the Island has an extremely sophisticated GSM infrastructure, with some of the highest rates of mobile usage in the world.

Robert Linton was one of the firm's earliest mobile customers. He said he has no regrets about paying £1,600 for his first phone in 1987 and still has the accompanying brochure: "My Motorola 8000 S was every bit a brick and was very awkward to cart around, but it gave my business the edge as it meant my customers and suppliers could contact me at anytime or place. This made a huge difference, especially in the car trade as deals rely on up-to-the-minute valuations and previously Id had to remain tied to my desk."

"Many people were a bit apprehensive about calling me on the mobile because they had to dial an unfamiliar ten digit number, however, they quickly saw the benefits of being able to contact me easily. It seems strange to people now, but it was an enormous advantage and meant that, as far as I know, I'm the only person who has sold a car from Sark!" he added.

Bob Lawrence, Managing Director of Jersey Telecom, said mobile phones have changed beyond recognition over the past 21 years and there's every reason to believe that the speed of change will continue over the next two decades.

"Some of the developments that phone users can expect to see include smart handsets that intelligently connect to different networks depending on whether you’re at home, at work or on the move. Battery life will be vastly extended (without going back to the battery pack days of the late eighties!) and will enable users to enjoy power hungry applications such as mobile TV. We also believe that mobiles will become real lifestyle devices, with finger print recognition turning phones into secure wallets and features such as GPS helping people to use their mobile as a handheld guide when they’re travelling abroad."

Times are a changing....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

£1,600 for a mobile 21 years ago! Empty Re: £1,600 for a mobile 21 years ago!

Post by gsyguy Fri 27 Jun 2008, 7:30 pm

i remeber my boss at the time had one that was massive much like an army field phone,came in handy in the frezze ups we had that year just drove round,taking calls and unfrezzing people
gsyguy
gsyguy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Job/hobbies : wet/dry/black/sometime down rite rude bnut most of all FUNNY
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down