www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think of ferry service?

4 posters

Go down

What do you think of ferry service? Empty What do you think of ferry service?

Post by GD Thu 03 Jul 2008, 1:26 pm

Islanders in Jersey are being asked to give their thoughts on the car ferry link with the UK.

At present Condor enjoy a monopoly on the route and in return pledge a level of service agreed with by the States. Recently, though, a competitor has expressed interest in operating a rival service.

The issue is one of many topics being covered in the latest Social Survey. Forms are going out to 3,500 homes, chosen at randon.

The results are used to shape the island's social policy. (from CIonline)

Well VDI members what do you think of the Island's ferry service?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

What do you think of ferry service? Empty Re: What do you think of ferry service?

Post by MarkyD Thu 03 Jul 2008, 6:56 pm

Having recently been stranded in Jersey because Condor cancelled a ferry - not a lot.

As much as local operators state 'it will be bad for the people of Guernsey' etc.etc, I believe that competition is always good for the consumer as the larger corporations inevitably lower the prices of goods and services.

You only have to look at the routes that airlines share to see how they are competing with each other to provide the cheapest fare. This is also true with Telecoms Operators offering good deals.

Bring it on I say!
MarkyD
MarkyD

Male
Number of posts : 1148
Job/hobbies : Professional Layabout
Humor : Manic - varying from dirty to clinically insane
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.cwgsy.net/community/minimotoraceclub

Back to top Go down

What do you think of ferry service? Empty Re: What do you think of ferry service?

Post by Thistle Thu 03 Jul 2008, 7:39 pm

totally agree markyd.condor have had it all their own way for too long.they are well overpriced and we get less ferries from them every year.bring on some competition i say.guernsey lost out when we followed jersey when the routes last came up for re issuing.we could have had p&o but went with condor cos the other island did.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 03 Jul 2008, 8:39 pm

I think with the Fuel Costs at the moment, unless an operator has a more cost effective type of vessel you would see a reduction in prices.

Cant see 2 companies that would offer a good year round service wanting to compete on the route anyway.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum