www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constables refuse to stand down

+2
kat
GD
6 posters

Go down

Constables refuse to stand down Empty Constables refuse to stand down

Post by GD Tue 19 Aug 2008, 11:37 am

Plans for all of Jersey's constables to be elected in one go have been dashed because three are refusing to stand down.

Constables Dan Murphy, Graeme Butcher and Simon Crowcroft all claim their recent success, as justification for not putting themselves up for re-ellection.

They also say it costs a lot of money for a Parish to put on an election.

Some say the move that all Constables won't be elected on the same day is a set back for democracy... (from CTVonline)

mmm maybe they are scared that they won't be re-elected..lol

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Constables refuse to stand down Empty Re: Constables refuse to stand down

Post by kat Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:13 pm

Glad we have our own way of thing here .the electors say!
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:15 pm

maybe jersey should copy our parish elections.all reps stand for a four year period and then stand for re election.imo the fairest way to go.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:33 pm

Does it really matter whether they're all elected on the same day?

Bearing in mind the constable is a parish official, and is never elected to the States. What is the advantage to the parish elector?

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:52 pm

Our parish Constables are elected into the states if they so want to be
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 20 Aug 2008, 2:54 pm

A former senator believes the actions of three of Jersey's constables has thwarted political reform in the island.

Advocate Chris Lakeman thinks all the constables should come up for election at the same time. Nine have agreed to stand down, but three, Constables Dan Murphy, Graeme Butcher and Simon Crowcroft are staying put.

Advocate Lakeman believes this has led to confusion and does nothing to encourage voters to get involved with politics. (from CIonline)

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David Rotherham Wed 20 Aug 2008, 3:45 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Does it really matter whether they're all elected on the same day?

Bearing in mind the constable is a parish official, and is never elected to the States. What is the advantage to the parish elector?

But the Constable is elected to the States, in parallel with his Parish role. Wheter that should be so is another can of worms, but the consensus has been in favour of keeping things how they are.

David Rotherham

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Wed 20 Aug 2008, 8:05 pm

GD wrote:
A former senator believes the actions of three of Jersey's constables has thwarted political reform in the island.

Advocate Chris Lakeman thinks all the constables should come up for election at the same time. Nine have agreed to stand down, but three, Constables Dan Murphy, Graeme Butcher and Simon Crowcroft are staying put.

Advocate Lakeman believes this has led to confusion and does nothing to encourage voters to get involved with politics. (from CIonline)

And how right he is, Sorry but it I could do anything, I would force the constables to conform with the rest
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Wed 20 Aug 2008, 8:11 pm

David Rotherham wrote:...But the Constable is elected to the States, in parallel with his Parish role...
But he's still operating at a parish level. He's elected and expected to act in the interests of his parish and parishioners.

Why then does it matter if his election is run at the same time as a neighbouring parish? He's not got a manifesto or campaign that can be compared to and candidate for a different position.

Whether they should be in the SoJ is a can of worms, but I believe they should not be States based on a parochial vote. The consensus you mention was such a disappointment; I was one of the lucky ones to be involved in the States public consultation, the question regarding the Constables position in the SoJ Jersey was worded so badly that the cynic in me says it must have been done to achieve a pre-determined result. Like asking a person whether they want to be hit on the left cheek or right cheek; then when they complain you hit them, you can in all honestly say that they chose to be hit in the left cheek.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Wed 20 Aug 2008, 8:13 pm

[quote="Pegasus"]
GD wrote:...if I could do anything, I would force the constables to conform with the rest
Why? Not having a go, just really intrigued as to why people think it's important.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum