www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’

+7
Spirit
kiwis kitten
steve 19
Thistle
kat
Pete Burtenshaw
GD
11 posters

Go down

‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’ Empty ‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’

Post by GD Fri 12 Sep 2008, 8:22 pm

A VISUALLY-impaired man has decided against moving to Guernsey because local provision for his condition is simply not good enough.

Michael Lindsay, 35, was planning to buy an open market house for his future retirement. But he was so shocked by the lack of social support for people with visual impairments, that he decided against the move.

‘It seems absolutely disgusting that it just doesn’t seem to be recognised as a disability. The help available in Jersey is the same as in the UK, so I’ll be looking to put my hard-earned cash into that island instead,’ said the husband and father.

‘There is no disability allowance, public transport is not [further] subsidised and facilities are not user-friendly if you are visually impaired. I find it all absolutely disgusting.’

Health minister Hunter Adam was surprised by Mr Lindsay’s comments and said that Health and Social Services definitely considered blindness and visual impairment to be disabilities.(from CIonline)

I back Hunter Adam I am sure he is right in this case,

What gets me if Mr Lindsay is rich enough to buy an open market property why should he expect a disability allowance as soon as he steps onto the Island?

I mean he has not paid a single thing into the Social fund, and expects benefits as soon as he comes here.. errr sorry no way in my books...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’ Empty Re: ‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 13 Sep 2008, 5:47 pm

I think the point here is the very poor amenities for those with a sight problem and this lack of amenities and access issues also impact of the less able bodies in the community. The issues regarding benefits are another matter. I do not support HA but support Mr Lindsay. Christ banks are thrown up, shops are renovated and our Health Department can not ensure that these institutions have adequate brail and access facilities……. Next time you are in town take a look at the lack of access and brail in 99.9% of shops and businesses……(HSBC)you will be amazed how discriminatory our island is towards those with a sight problem and those with a disability. Bloody diabolical I say

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’ Empty Re: ‘If that’s how you treat people, I’ll take my cash elsewhere’

Post by kat Sat 13 Sep 2008, 6:14 pm

Our town is certainly not very friendly for the disabled at all..most shops you cannot even get into if you are in a wheel chair .
And the toilets for the disabled are terrible[only good one is in the market]
shopping on the bridge is easier for some ,but like most shops they put too much in the shops and make it impossible to go in and mooch around with out knocking stuff off the shelves
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 13 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

i totally agree that guernsey streets and shops are not disability friendly.lowered kerbs would help for wheelchair users as would having ramps into shops and lift facilities to move around between floors.even if it was the staff lift being offered for that purpose.as to benefits thereis only one extra benefit available to people with disabilities.that is attendance allowance.to be in receipt of that you need to be being cared for for as far as personal hygeine,dressing,safety, feeding etc.a carer receives invalid care allowance if they care for the person in receipt of AA for a minimum of 40 hours a week.that is paid at the princely sum of approximately £65 a week.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 13 Sep 2008, 7:52 pm

so Mr Lindsay had a very very good reason then and was correct in his slating of Gsy plc???

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steve 19 Sun 14 Sep 2008, 12:43 am

I'm with you, GD, on this case.
Yes , we could do a hell of a lot more to aid disabled people, but why should a person from outside our island just turn up and be looked after by our money?
He cites public transport subsidy........ffs, get a card, 30p a trip, is that pricey?
I have to say that yes, for visualy impaired people, guernsey is NOT very well organised, but we are a little island after all, still in the "old world", and that is the way it will be, for many years to come.
steve 19
steve 19

Male
Number of posts : 1272
Job/hobbies : Motorsport
Humor : Hell yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 14 Sep 2008, 6:06 am

steve 19 wrote:I'm with you, GD, on this case.
Yes , we could do a hell of a lot more to aid disabled people, but why should a person from outside our island just turn up and be looked after by our money?
He cites public transport subsidy........ffs, get a card, 30p a trip, is that pricey?
I have to say that yes, for visualy impaired people, guernsey is NOT very well organised, but we are a little island after all, still in the "old world", and that is the way it will be, for many years to come.

Well steve19 I am shocked that you could blatantly and openly discriminate against those with disabilities. I was a Day Service Officer for Adults with Learning Disabilities for 13 years and I saw prejudice from people towards all members of our community with any form of disability, it shocked me and continues to shock me that this ignorance is still prevent in Gsy and I moved on from that fantastic profession in 96.

Mr Lindsay was right in raising these service deficiencies he was not just representing his own views but hundreds of parents, those who advocate for people with a disability and of course those with a disability here in Guernsey. Perhaps you should take up some volunteer work at Cheshire Homes this may change your attitude. Look beyond Mr Lindsay being an outsider and look at the bigger picture……..

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 14 Sep 2008, 9:19 am

I agree we should put disabled folks first,as we never know when a disability will know on our own door.
We must help all those who are unable to help themselves ...
The buses have ramps that lower for the disabled,but out town lest them down as there are a limit to what shops they can go into
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Sun 14 Sep 2008, 7:04 pm

I wouldn't say Steve was discriminating against ppl with disabilities at all.......

Thats not how i read it .....

Why should ppl come over... who can afford to buy open market properties and expect our social services to support them.....when even our locals aren't looked after as they should be.....

I also agree that Guernsey does not cater well for disabled users...
This has become more apparent to me over the last few years...
I hate to say but Jersey seem to have got it right....
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 14 Sep 2008, 7:23 pm

The point here is that this chap was raising the issues regarding those with a disability, forget that he can afford open market. Nothing will change unless change is fought for and in Gsy if it does not include animals then those of any minority group are sunk.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sun 14 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

I can't make out what this man is bleating about. No-one is forcing him to move over here. Is he planning to write to the media of every other jurisdiction in the world saying why he won't be moving there?
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 18 Sep 2008, 3:45 am

No wonder there is so much discrimination here in Gsy regarding those with any form of disability. Look beyond Mr Lindsay’s none local status and see the message he is conveying. We have none locals over here changing the whole structure of Gsy every day and I don’t see you lot bleating off about them or the immense damage being done t our skyline, culture or quality of lives......Don’t be so blinkered. If we have a forum where users stick together like school kids because someone disagrees with one of their playground mates then what a bloody forum we have. Gsy will be in the same position Jsy find themselves in 10 years. Hunter Adam is clueless on health and is in the wrong job, he is a dreadful man and only looking after his pals at the MSG.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by James Pond Sat 23 May 2009, 10:05 pm

Mr Lindsay has a choice! some locals do not! lets put the money where it is needed most, and thats not an easy thing to decide. Real leaders need BALLS !

James Pond

Male
Number of posts : 52
Job/hobbies : Its the same!
Humor : Dont go there! but i deviate from the truth.
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 24 May 2009, 9:21 am

What, like Margaret Thatcher.....?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 24 May 2009, 9:32 am

Spirit wrote:I can't make out what this man is bleating about. No-one is forcing him to move over here. Is he planning to write to the media of every other jurisdiction in the world saying why he won't be moving there?

Maybe not, but remember you are an Island which tries to atract visitors on holiday to boost your economy. Being a mobility scooter user I have to say that Guernsey is not that easy to get around.

In fact if it wasn't for the fact that I was coming to Guernsey long before becoming dis-abled and love the place, I would probably be put off from coming again.

So please consider the wider picture.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 24 May 2009, 9:46 am

http://www.zyra.org.uk/taxhaven.htm

Above is a link
to other tax havens, If you are not happy with Guernsey please feel free to take
your money elsewhere as Guernsey will survive without you!
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down