www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE"

4 posters

Go down

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE" Empty Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE"

Post by GD Mon 29 Sep 2008, 6:26 pm

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE" JER_RSAS-exter-1

THE Radisson Hotel is the front runner for a national award . . . the most hated building in the British Isles.

The building has been put forward for the Carbuncle Cup 2008, which rewards monstrosity, on the architecture website Building Design. The website, which asks for nominations of ‘wasted potential, hideous eyesore or simple plain ridiculousness’, leads with a description and picture of the hotel.

Journalist Victoria Watts writes: ‘Alan Holmes of the Jersey Channel Islands nominates the promised “cutting edge world class architecture” of the new Radisson Hotel on the Jersey Waterfront as “a cross between a blockhouse and a wheat silo” and “the most ugly blob imaginable”. ‘He feared his camera might not take the stain, but we’ve been (un)lucky enough to find one. So far, the Jersey Channel Islands’ Radisson hotel, put forward by Alan Holmes, has inspired the most voices of disapproval.’

One magazine reader says: ‘I can’t think that anything more hideous than the Radisson Hotel will emerge – give it the cup now! Still, anyone who has seen what the same hotel group did to the listed Free Trade Hall in Manchester shouldn’t be surprised.’ (from thisisjersey)

Last edited by GD on Fri 10 Oct 2008, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE" Empty Re: Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE"

Post by kiwis kitten Mon 29 Sep 2008, 7:49 pm

:sunny 1: Ive sat on that terrace.....boootiful..... kk1

The place does stand out from all directions.... : pink lol :

And i know many locals think it looks hideous.....

Doesn't look that bad imo...

Mind u ...i don't have to see it every day .... :thistle 1:
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE" Empty Re: Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE"

Post by wayside Mon 29 Sep 2008, 10:26 pm

It does not look too bad to me in the Picture, if you want to see a carbuncle then I am sure we have a few in Guernsey that beats that hands down.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ageofaquarius Tue 30 Sep 2008, 8:15 pm

Its hated because they could have built something much easier on the eye, ok, its just a hotel that you would find in any town, but on our waterfront, no, it just doesn't work.

ageofaquarius

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 10 Oct 2008, 7:25 pm

The Radisson SAS Waterfront Hotel in Jersey by EPR Architects has won the wooden spoon in BD’s Carbuncle Cup 2008.

Jersey Radisson Hotel "Wins the Carbuncle Cup" "UPDATE" Radisson_hotel_small

The Jersey hotel is the least impressive building of the year.

The Carbuncle — announced on the eve of the Stirling Prize for the best in contemporary British architecture — is voted for by hundreds of BD readers and is the profession’s choice of least impressive building of the year.

There was clear water between the Radisson, with 29% of votes, and its nearest challenger, B-Central Apartments in Bournemouth by Trinity Architecture, with 19%.
Stuart Lowther, EPR Architects managing director, said he was “extremely disappointed” by the win. “It’s a scheme we inherited from another architect. The external envelope is not our design. We like to think that our own design projects that we start from the outset are considerably better,” he said. “Internally, the hotel works very well, it’s a great success and a very pleasant place to stay.”

Oh dear wooden spoon award to Jersey..lol
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum