www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons

+11
Dell
Alpy
Barney Gumble
Thistle
ptost
Digger
Pete Burtenshaw
kat
GD
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons - Page 2 Empty Re: Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons

Post by Dell Thu 13 Aug 2009, 7:25 am

I resent my children being taught Guernsey patois at school ...

Well that's a bit strong Cockney....... Get real please....

If you had moved elsewhere, say France for example, you would "RESENT" your children learning another language!! English is taught as a 'given' in Guernsey, so no issues there. Good job you haven't moved to Wales then, isn't it?

Incomers need to be accepting of the ways - and language! - of the country that they move to IMO.

Dell

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons - Page 2 Empty Re: Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons

Post by Alpy Thu 13 Aug 2009, 3:53 pm

My kids learn in school German, English and Italian also the local language Austrian...I don't see what the problem is........If they can then why can't the English....

Were not talking about teaching patois as the main language but as a second or third language to keep the tradition alive.....

Alpy

Number of posts : 3484
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Thu 13 Aug 2009, 5:03 pm

[quote="karma"]I think if you phone the Lexicon they might have one - they used to keep them....

Thanks Karma.I will try to find a copy the next time I'm in Guernland... :party3:

Alpy

Number of posts : 3484
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Thu 13 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm

Dell, if I moved to any other country then I would learn their language but there is no comparison in going to France and learning their language as their language is live where as patois is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Teaching my children patois is wasting their time at school when they could be learning something more useful. I'm not against the language and think it shouldn't be left to die out completely. I'm sure there are enough people around to keep it going for historical purposes.

cockney

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 14 Aug 2009, 8:35 pm

I'm sure there are enough people around to keep it going for historical purposes.

If only cockney, if only........ :(

Dell

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassandra Sun 06 Dec 2009, 4:34 pm

thank you for the lessons, it's much easier when you know French Patois in the Islands....Simple lessons - Page 2 146236
Cassandra
Cassandra

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by heiditidy Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

is there anywere adults cant learn? as i have always wanted to learn my own language and sometimes feel embarissed i dont even know how :(

heiditidy

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2