www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

4 posters

Go down

Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones Empty Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

Post by GD Sun 19 Oct 2008, 1:41 pm

Everyone who buys a mobile telephone will be forced to register their identity on a national database under government plans to extend massively the powers of state surveillance.
Phone buyers would have to present a passport or other official form of identification at the point of purchase. Privacy campaigners fear it marks the latest government move to create a surveillance society.
A compulsory national register for the owners of all 72m mobile phones in Britain would be part of a much bigger database to combat terrorism and crime. Whitehall officials have raised the idea of a register containing the names and addresses of everyone who buys a phone in recent talks with Vodafone and other telephone companies, insiders say.
The move is targeted at monitoring the owners of Britain’s estimated 40m prepaid mobile phones. They can be purchased with cash by customers who do not wish to give their names, addresses or credit card details.

The pay-as-you-go phones are popular with criminals and terrorists because their anonymity shields their activities from the authorities. But they are also used by thousands of law-abiding citizens who wish to communicate in private.

The move aims to close a loophole in plans being drawn up by GCHQ, the government’s eavesdropping centre in Cheltenham, to create a huge database to monitor and store the internet browsing habits, e-mail and telephone records of everyone in Britain.
The “Big Brother” database would have limited value to police and MI5 if it did not store details of the ownership of more than half the mobile phones in the country.
Contingency planning for such a move is already thought to be under way at Vodafone, where 72% of its 18.5m UK customers use pay-as-you-go.
The office of Richard Thomas, the information commissioner, said it anticipated that a compulsory mobile phone register would be unveiled as part of a law which ministers would announce next year.
“With regards to the database that would contain details of all mobile users, including pay-as-you-go, we would expect that this information would be included in the database proposed in the draft Communications Data Bill,” a spokeswoman said.
Simon Davies, of Privacy International, said he understood that several mobile phone firms had discussed the proposed database in talks with government officials.
As The Sunday Times revealed earlier this month, GCHQ has already been provided with up to £1 billion to work on the pilot stage of the Big Brother database, which will see thousands of “black boxes” installed on communications lines provided by Vodafone and BT as part of a pilot interception programme.
The proposals have sparked a fierce backlash inside Whitehall. Senior officials in the Home Office have privately warned that the database scheme is impractical, disproportionate and potentially unlawful. The revolt last week forced Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, to delay announcing plans for the database until next year. (from timeonline)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones Empty Re: Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

Post by kat Sun 19 Oct 2008, 3:12 pm

i tryed to buy a moblile from wave a few years ago.and since i did not have any identity on me i was not allowed....i dont drive so dont have a driver licence. my passport was not available ..so i went to CW and brought one! phone that is not a passport !
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones Empty Re: Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

Post by Barney Gumble Sun 19 Oct 2008, 7:34 pm

Is this pay as you go, or Contract as well??

Are they trying to link up the IMEI number of the phone to a name? Fook sake.... If that happens, 2 things could occur....

1) Phone linked to you, (provided it is switched on) regardless of network could be used to track your position via GPS

2) If the phone is stolen/lost and another disk/laptop goes conveniently walkabouts.... look up the imei and you have the users data!! Prime candidate for identity fraud.

For now, my brick suits me. It works and if it buggers up, i have a spare.

Wont be long before you carry round with you a pin prick device to supply DNA to validate everything you do, say, buy!

I've got a few years left in me yet, but god help the next generation and the next and the next...........
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sun 19 Oct 2008, 10:26 pm

Another means to control the population without any effects on serious crime.

A terrorist or professional criminal will be able to circumvent this easily by using a non-UK phone and pay the higher roaming charges.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down