www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes

5 posters

Go down

Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes Empty Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes

Post by GD Wed 22 Oct 2008, 7:24 pm

VALE GARAGE is refusing £1 coins after complaining of receiving fakes. Eddie Sharpe, who works at the service station, said he began to notice the dodgy coins about a month ago.
‘They look a lot like a £1 coin really, but if you look closely there are differences and all you can do is warn people to look out for them,’ he said.
He took the coins to a bank, he said, and spoke to police.
‘The first thing I noticed was that if you flip a real one, the emblem is aligned with the image of the Queen’s head - the two are straight. But if you turn a fake, they are often at different angles,’ he said.
‘The writing on the edge is also not as clear as it should be and if you scratch the surface with another coin, you can see the surface is thin and underneath it is silver-coloured.’ (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes Empty Re: Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes

Post by Digger Wed 22 Oct 2008, 7:33 pm

I have been told of this, there is an increasing amount of shops etc refusing to take pound coins only notes . Shocked
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes Empty Re: Watch out for £1 coins after garage is stung with fakes

Post by wayside Thu 23 Oct 2008, 1:38 am

I find it stange that anyone can refuse £1 Coins, this has been a small problem for a few months now but most are easily spoted, i would think in a club or anywher that the light level is low that would be a bigger concern.

I know that on average 2 - 4 coins in a batch of about 400 seem to be getting into one persons takings,

so its not a huge problem but you need to check as if you take tghem to the bank they will just confiscate them and you loose the money
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Thu 23 Oct 2008, 5:00 am

Someone will be blaming the eastern europeans for this of course :)

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Thu 23 Oct 2008, 8:43 am

well if i have proper £1 coins, they cant refuse it as its legal tender, no?
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Thu 23 Oct 2008, 1:38 pm

From you Barney ? NO CHANCE Shocked

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 31 Oct 2008, 8:33 pm

I was told that Candie Cash are refusing to take pound coins now , and apparently an elderly chap went in to get his milk & papers and handed over some pound coins and was told no so he had to put the produce back as he ad no other money. Now i thought this practice was illegal as it is legal tender.

If anyone one knows different can you let us know.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Fri 31 Oct 2008, 11:48 pm

If thats true its pathetic and as its easy to spot the dodgy ones they dont really have an excuse.

I would imaging that it is illegal not to accept Them,
And making a customer put goods back is not on.
what would they do if in the UK where there are no £1 notes,

The stupid thing is there are plenty of photocopy £1 notes about as well are they only going to accept cards in the future, If so they will have to change their name to Candie Credit Cards.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down