www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supermarkets do their best for us, say local producers

Go down

Supermarkets do their best for us, say local producers Empty Supermarkets do their best for us, say local producers

Post by GD Fri 31 Oct 2008, 8:42 pm

RETAILERS do support the local food industry, say producers.
A letter in Tuesday’s Guernsey Press from Alderney’s only farmer accused supermarkets of abusing their position and it was claimed the Dairy could not compete on price with products such as yogurt from the UK.
But Wayne Billien (pictured), of Guernsey Mushrooms, which supplies Checkers, the Co-op and Alliance, said his business was fully supported.
‘We’ve now expanded to the Co-op in Jersey and we’ve just taken on more through the Co-operative,’ he said. ‘We have a product that’s available year-round - that’s the difference. Some of these people might say they [the supermarkets] aren’t helping, but they might not sell a product all year round.’
Siegi Moherndl, who runs Fresh Guernsey Herbs, said business was good in the island. ‘Our sales are up 15% on last year,’ he said. ‘If we could match that in the UK, we wouldn’t cope.
‘Our suppliers are all doing well this year, but the Guernsey Growers’ Association has done a promotion with labelling.
‘But we are always supported by the local retailers.’ (from thisisguernsey)

mmm only some of the local food industry are supported, I am sure the quality in the supermarkets would be far better if more local produce was purchased, I am sorry but some the imported Fruit & Veg is crap...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down