www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental health care still lacking

3 posters

Go down

Mental health care still lacking Empty Mental health care still lacking

Post by GD Fri 19 Dec 2008, 10:05 am

Mental health care still lacking

Mental health care still lacking 0662969

MENTAL health care provisions have been criticised in a report.
The Health and Social Care Advisory Service’s paper expresses concern over the lack of progress in drafting and enacting the law which the States approved in 2002.
It also highlights the difficulties in developing appropriate levels of primary care to relieve the pressure on the secondary service.
Health and Social Services minister Hunter Adam (pictured) said while it was encouraging that progress had been made in some areas, it was concerning that there had been little in some strategic ones.
‘It is particularly important that a new strategy designed to meet the mental health care needs of the population is developed,’ he said. ‘This must include the enhanced availability of resources within primary care to help general practitioners deliver appropriate services.’
HSSD commissioned the external review. Hascas was chosen because, as the former Health Advisory Service, it had carried out reviews of care for the elderly and mental health services in 1999 and 2001. (from thisisguernsey)

I think the Mental Health Situation over here is crazy, I feel sorry for the Doctors & Nursing staff, who have to put up with the States who have pushed aside the problem for years...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Mental health care still lacking Empty Re: Mental health care still lacking

Post by GD Fri 19 Dec 2008, 3:57 pm

Island is failing the mentally ill’

Mental health care still lacking 0691789

ISLANDERS with long-term mental health problems have been let down, according to outgoing director of public health Dr David Jeffs.
Reacting to a report on the adult acute mental health service, Dr Jeffs (pictured) said more needed to be done.
‘I think the one part of the population we have really let down is those with enduring mental health problems,’ he said. ‘There are 300-400 people who have been in and out of the Castel Hospital and Albecq Ward.
‘We have been trying to recruit top-grade psychiatrists and we try to set the remuneration and offer the top-grade package. In terms of providing the top-quality care, I really feel we have failed those people with ongoing mental health problems.’
Recruiting staff also needed the help of other departments, he said.
‘It really now depends on the public sector to get the top staff. We need to offer more than they have been prepared to.’
Dr Jeffs said that it was not down to Health to provide an up-to-date mental health law, which was approved in 2002 - it now was the responsibility of the Law Officers and the Privy Council. (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 19 Dec 2008, 4:12 pm

The mental health on this island is seriously lacking and has been for ever it is like a third world country in this respect and needs funding urgently . There are so many people out there that need special care but it is just not there . Its about time the States got their act together and sorted out this mess.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 29 Dec 2008, 2:01 pm

Guernsey politicians are being invited to a presentation on the need to replace some of the island's mental health facilities.
The Health and Social Services Department (HSSD) will be making a presentation on the subject.
It will deliver a talk on the need to replace some facilities for people with learning disabilities, along with other facilities for mental health treatment.
The event is due to take place on 19 January at Les Cotils.
The department is due to bring a report to the States in January to provide the background information for the debate in March.
However, HSSD said it felt it would be useful to hold a presentation for politicians where further details could be given and members would have the opportunity to ask questions. (BBC News)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 29 Dec 2008, 2:41 pm

maybe parents of people with learning disabilities should be invited to this presentation.there are not enough placements for respite care in the island now.considering we as parents caring for our children and adults in the community save the staes coffers in the region of £65,000 a year the least they could do is make more respite facilities available.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 29 Dec 2008, 2:59 pm

have just tried to phone hunter adam but he is out of the island.will get the billet when it comes out on the 9th of january to read up on what is being put forward to the states.i will then start phoning round the states members to put a parents point of view across.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 09 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

TWENTY-five years after mental health facilities provided at Castel Hospital were identified as inadequate, plans to replace them are going to the States.
Health and Social Services is the second department to bring a big spending report to the Assembly as members prepare to prioritise the order in which projects are tackled this term.
Following the rough ride given to the Public Services airport runway plans, Health will attempt to get in-principle approval for its £31m. project.
A key part of its proposal to allow the new mental health facility to be developed at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital is to close Oberlands House. This provides facilities for 12 adults with disabilities, and instead develop three homes.
But there is a sticking point - with Environment indicating that planners would block one of them - so Health is looking at the options for where to build it (from thisisguernsey)

Lets face it if they do what should of happened years ago the cost would not be so high...

Anyway they could could see the Catel site for quite a large sum of money, to re-coup some of the spend...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 10 Jan 2009, 8:22 am

i also think the mental health facilities in guernsey need looking at they are way behind the times.i believe at the moment there is about a 6-9 month waiting list to see a phsychiatrist ior phsycologist.this is just not good enough.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 13 Jan 2009, 8:00 pm

Mental health care still lacking 0644279

PEOPLE are suffering in silence because of the stigma attached to mental health in Guernsey, it has been claimed.
States member Marc Laine (pictured) believes that many points were missed in a critical independent investigation into the service, which was released by Health and Social Services ahead of its States report that will be debated at the end of the month.
‘I think the key thing to remember is that a lot of people are suffering as a result,’ said Deputy Laine of the document.
‘Somewhere at the bottom of the report is stigma. Whether it is in primary or secondary care, the fact that mental health has been stigmatised has meant that people suffer in silence.’
Part of this was because of the Castel Hospital itself, he said.
Deputy Laine backs Health and Social Services’ plans to centralise mental health services at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital, treating the issue like any other illness.
Staffing was also a problem, he said.(from thisisguersey)

He speaks for a lot of us...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content